AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to set up a new HT system. I've currently got a 5.1 setup, with the rear speakers behind the listener.

Here is what I'm working with:

Onkyo SR876 receiver (THX, nearly every mode, etc)

Playstation 3 as a Blu-Ray/DVD player

I just ran the Audyssey auto-setup program, and it seemed to set up my speakers correctly. As it showed a speaker (Rear, for instance) that speaker emitted it's tone. Basically I'm saying that the receiver appears to know which speaker is which.

So, now the problem. I put in Star Wars Episode IV and ran the THX Optimizer audio setup. Here's what happened:

Left: OK

Center: OK

Right: OK

Surround Right: a quieter tone came from the Right speaker

SBL, SBR: a quieter tone came from the CENTER speaker!

Surround Left: a quieter tone came from the Left speaker

Subwoofer: I heard nothing.

I tried running through every surround program offered by the receiver and got the same output from the speakers.

Is there a setting I'm missing on the Playstation? Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
30,869 Posts
Two things I would check: make sure that the PS3 is outputting a 5.1 signal to your receiver and not a 2-channel downmix; make sure your surround speakers are connected to the receiver's surround connections and not the surround-back connection.

Sanjay

·
Registered
610 Posts
If your language is correct, you've hooked up rear speakers and don't have surrounds (which is wrong... very, very wrong). If that's the case, some things are happening correctly: a signal sent to your absent right surround is folded into the front right speaker, etc. Can you confirm that you haven't done this and are just mistakenly calling your surround speakers "rears?"

You shouldn't be using any surround program for THX Optimizer (you don't want software screwing with where signals are going when you're trying to send them somewhere specific).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who responded. Yes, even JBLsound

I RTFM - well, at least the PS3 setup FAQ here on the website - and bottom line, I got things working.

As I went through the FAQ setup options, I think the one that was screwy was the "Audio Output Settings". I believe it was originally set to "automatic", but it took another run through the process to pick up all the audio settings from my receiver.

soundlovr and sdurani, yes, I did have the speakers connected correctly - though it seemed a bit counter-intuitive when I first set it up.

Before, I would get "PLII Movie" showing up on the AVR's display. I now get "Multich". Clicking on the Info button, it also shows "MCH PCM 5.1", so it's definitely getting the 5.1 now.

Thanks once again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts