AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks everyone for your help!!!!!!!!!


I have 2 Cerwin Vega Re-30s sitting idle.
(12" Woofer, 4" mid and 1" tweeter)


The cheap Sony receiver I have to power these speakers is so bad I just won't listen to it.



What should I do? My budget is $300-$400... I'd rather stay closer to $300 so my wife doesn't throw bricks at me...... Oh, since I'm mainly going to use my personal music player (Cowon D2) to provide music to my new system, a tuner (receiver) is not required.


BTW, I have a home theater in a box to accompany my Samsung 52" HDTV.


I have this:

Samsung HT-AS730ST Home Theater System by Samsung


and this:

Samsung LN52B630 52-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV with Red Touch of Color


connected and working fine. Sound is.... well.. so-so..... (as a home theater system).. I've connected my Cowon D2 PMP and the system sounds real bad.


Sitting right along side my entertainment system, unused at this time are a set of Cerwin Vega Re-30s. These speakers ROCK! and are in excellent condition (12" Woofer, 4" Mid, and 1" Tweeter).


CERWIN VEGAS:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramasita /forum/post/18247472


Thanks everyone for your help!!!!!!!!!


I have 2 Cerwin Vega Re-30s sitting idle.
(12" Woofer, 4" mid and 1" tweeter)


The cheap Sony receiver I have to power these speakers is so bad I just won't listen to it.



What should I do? My budget is $300-$400... I'd rather stay closer to $300 so my wife doesn't throw bricks at me...... Oh, since I'm mainly going to use my personal music player (Cowon D2) to provide music to my new system, a tuner (receiver) is not required.


BTW, I have a home theater in a box to accompany my Samsung 52" HDTV.


I have this:

Samsung HT-AS730ST Home Theater System by Samsung


and this:

Samsung LN52B630 52-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV with Red Touch of Color


connected and working fine. Sound is.... well.. so-so..... (as a home theater system).. I've connected my Cowon D2 PMP and the system sounds real bad.


Sitting right along side my entertainment system, unused at this time are a set of Cerwin Vega Re-30s. These speakers ROCK! and are in excellent condition (12" Woofer, 4" Mid, and 1" Tweeter).


CERWIN VEGAS:

My suggestion would be to buy an AVR with pre amp outs. I would then use some sort of external amplifier to power those CV's. I don't know if you can do this with the budget you gave. I have done this with a very large pair of Cerwin Vega CLS-215's. I use the pre amp in my Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver, then to a DBX1231 pro EQ, then to a CV2800 pro amp. It sounds really good. It isn't cheap to set it up like this though. Have a look on You Tube and see how people are hooking up their large CV's. Many do it this way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
If either the Sony or Samsung has a line out you may find they both sound just fine as long as you let an external amplifier drive those CV's. There are many amps on the market which could vaporize those speakers for under the $300 mark, and even more so if you look into pre owned gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly1 /forum/post/18257972


If either the Sony or Samsung has a line out you may find they both sound just fine as long as you let an external amplifier drive those CV's. There are many amps on the market which could vaporize those speakers for under the $300 mark, and even more so if you look into pre owned gear.

I don't think any home theater in a box receivers have pre outs except for a sub. At least not any that I have seen. He also said his Sony receiver was a cheaper model so I don't think it has them either. It sure would same some money if they did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I too was running a sony receiver for my cerwin vegas and it just didnt push them much at all by the way my reciever is new and expensive after switching out for a yamaha reciever my speakers pound and are more clear I am very happy now:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,063 Posts
For around $350, you can get the Harman-Kardon 3490 stereo receiver. Its sound quality is excellent.


It has way more power than you need for those speakers, and is an excellent design with lots of clean power.


Highly recommended.


If you want a 5-channel receiver, the Harman-Kardon 1700 is also very good, and has plenty of power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,679 Posts
3490 makes a lot of sense.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramasita  /t/1232245/help-to-power-big-cerwin-vegas#post_18247472


Thanks everyone for your help!!!!!!!!!



I have 2 Cerwin Vega Re-30s sitting idle.


(12" Woofer, 4" mid and 1" tweeter)



The cheap Sony receiver I have to power these speakers is so bad I just won't listen to it.





What should I do? My budget is $300-$400... I'd rather stay closer to $300 so my wife doesn't throw bricks at me...... Oh, since I'm mainly going to use my personal music player (Cowon D2) to provide music to my new system, a tuner (receiver) is not required.



BTW, I have a home theater in a box to accompany my Samsung 52" HDTV.



I have this:


Samsung HT-AS730ST Home Theater System by Samsung



and this:


Samsung LN52B630 52-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV with Red Touch of Color



connected and working fine. Sound is.... well.. so-so..... (as a home theater system).. I've connected my Cowon D2 PMP and the system sounds real bad.



Sitting right along side my entertainment system, unused at this time are a set of Cerwin Vega Re-30s. These speakers ROCK! and are in excellent condition (12" Woofer, 4" Mid, and 1" Tweeter).



CERWIN VEGAS:

Why not try to use the Cerwin Vegas with the AVR in your HTAS 730 audio system?


According to the manual downloadable from http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/HT-AS730ST/XAA your AVR has traditional binding post speaker outputs, so attaching the Cerwin Vega's in place of the peanut whistles that came with the audio system should be easy. The instructions on page 52 show how to adjust the receiver to optimize the use of these larger and probably more efficient speakers.


If you are worried that the larger speakers are going to put a bigger strain on your receiver, don't. Larger speakers are generally more efficient and take less power for a given amount of loudness.


To start out with, I suggest that you spend no extra money at all and simply try to get the best out of what you already have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,827 Posts
I'm guessing this is for both music and movies since you mentioned your HTIB? In that case the 3490 makes even less sense here than in other places these guys are pushing it. Follow arny's instructions, if that doesn't work look into an AVR.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTweaked  /t/1232245/help-to-power-big-cerwin-vegas#post_23279561


With my yamaha rx-v361 I can change the ohm setting to 6ohms which the LS-12 vegas sure do like those lower ohms lol

No need to make any such changes


These speakers are so efficient (I hear its 97 dB/W) that you are unlikely to stress out your AVR while driving them at any sane SPL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1232245/help-to-power-big-cerwin-vegas#post_23282001


No need to make any such changes


These speakers are so efficient (I hear its 97 dB/W) that you are unlikely to stress out your AVR while driving them at any sane SPL.
In that case shouldn't the "cheap Sony receiver" that's "so bad" he just wont listen to also work fine? How does it sound bad anyway?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0Bloggs  /t/1232245/help-to-power-big-cerwin-vegas#post_23282970

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1232245/help-to-power-big-cerwin-vegas#post_23282001


No need to make any such changes


These speakers are so efficient (I hear its 97 dB/W) that you are unlikely to stress out your AVR while driving them at any sane SPL.
In that case shouldn't the "cheap Sony receiver" that's "so bad" he just wont listen to also work fine? How does it sound bad anyway?

Hard to say from thousands of miles away. The question I was answering was whether or not it is worth a try to hook it to the newer system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
crown xls1000 is the way to go. you need pre outs on your receiver though. or you could get a line in to rca converter for 20 bucks
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top