AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved out of my apartment, and I'm trying to setup my showstopper with my new cable company. I've read through lots of other posts and tried a few things.

1. I tried clearing the phone numbers and zip codes and unplugging the power.

2. I tried slowing the modem to 33.6

3. I've hard reset the showstopper plenty of times.

4. I've tried having the showstopper phone line being the only one plugged in.

5. I've tried with and without call waiting disabled.

Nothing's worked. I can't even get the new phone numbers and cable listings. It gets to the point where is says Setting up TimeZone and then it disconnects and tells me it had a Network Connection Error.

Is it possible there could be something wrong with the phone line? Should I try slowing the modem even more? I never had a problem before in my old apartment. I've been constantly trying for the past week, and nothing. I'm guessing the phone line might have problems, but why would it even get that far in the process if that was the case?

Any help or ideas would be great.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It could be the phone line or it could be the cord or the jack. You should try plugging the unit into another plug elsewhere in the apt. If you have access to the box, you should be able to run a long cord right to the box and bypass the internal wiring to see if the wiring is the problem. If the main box is too far away, that isn't an option. In my apt the box was right next to my window and that is always an option in a house.

You could also try the lift the receiver trick. When the replay starts dialing, lift the receiver and listen to the call. Some times that will get a connect when nothing else will.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing happens to me from time to time. The service to get the local numbers for dialing is too busy or is down. I have had to wait until early the next morning to do the set up. Some times you might have to wait a few days.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

It was the phone line. I tried another line far away and it worked on the first try and quickly I might add. I was normally sitting there watching the screen say "Setting Clock" for a while, but this time it was only up for a few seconds.

I am still curious as to why it would actually connect and make it as far as it did if the phone line has problems? Also, on the new line I tried leaving the modem to Default, but it had connection problems. Then I slowed it down to 33.6 and everything is great.

Just wanted to say thanks.

PS- Changing the modem speed is no-where in the FAQs, I had to search all around here to find out how to do it. Maybe someone should add it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.