AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put up the oval DTV dish this weekend, hooked to my DTC-100 with ~ 90 feet of RG6. I get the 119 sat with strength of 80, but no signal on the 101 sat. The dish has 2 dual LNBs, going into a switch that has 4 outputs.

I tried using different outputs, always the same results.

Can I safely hook the recvr directly to the 101 LNB for checking out the LNB ? I noticed that the switch inputs are labeled 13V and 18V.

Could a bad cable on the 101 LNB disable both outputs from it ??

If the LNB is bad, can I swap in 1 from a Dishnet dish ? (warranty gone)

recommendations to troubleshoot ???

HELP!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are your azimuth, elevation, and tilt at the starting points recommended by the receiver? I used a GPS and plugged in the actual latitude and longitude settings, they are slightly different than the zip code coordinates.

Forget 119 satellite to begin with. Place your receiver on channel 100 and

go to the signal meter for the 101 satellite. I didn't have any help, so using a pair of walkie talkies, I taped the transmit button down on one and placed it by the tv speaker, and I took the other one up on the roof with me so I could hear the signal change.

I rotated the azimuth back and forth first, with out any luck, so then I changed the elevation gradually upward until I got the signal for the 101

satellite. I had to raise the elevation about 7 degrees over what the initial settings called for. When I got the highest pitched signal, I went

down and checked the signal level on the tv. It was 93.

Then I switched to channel 199 on the tv and to the 119 satellite on the

signal meter. It was about 54. Back up on the roof I fine tuned it until

I got the best sound I could. When I checked it on the tv it was about 68.

From what I have heard on this forum these numbers are about what people in the Midwest(like me) are getting. I did not mess with the tilt setting. Perhaps I could have gotten slightly better by trying to change it. I did not lose any signal on the 101 satellite after the 119 fine tuning.

Hope this helps.

Ron.

------------------

Ron

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMike_49:
Can I safely hook the recvr directly to the 101 LNB for checking out the LNB ? I noticed that the switch inputs are labeled 13V and 18V.
Yes you can. Just run a coax to the 101 LNB directly to check for satellite strength.
Quote:

Could a bad cable on the 101 LNB disable both outputs from it ??

If the LNB is bad, can I swap in 1 from a Dishnet dish ? (warranty gone)
Each output should be independent, so no, bad cable on one should not effect the other.

Yes. The LNB's are the same for DISH and DIRECTV... you'll need a DUAL LNB to get all the channels though through multiswitch.
Quote:

recommendations to troubleshoot ???

HELP!
I assume you don't have a sat meter (Very easy to troubleshoot with one of these). After double checking az/el/tilt and Ron's suggestions, I would try:

1) Bypassing multiswitch and run coax directly into 101 LNB.

if this works, its either the coaxes from LNB or the multiswitch.

use coaxes from 119 LNB to isolate. (you know they work)

2) Swap 119 LNB into 101 slot and try 1) again.

if this works, its the LNB

3) Still nothing? Then you're not pointed in the right direction or something is blocking the signal. Use Round dishnet to lock onto 101, and if you can lock on, you're az/el/tilt for the oval dish is off; otherwise, look for obstructions.

[This message has been edited by indadogghouse (edited 04-03-2001).]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Make sure the round part of the antenna mast is level at 0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees. When they bend them at the factory they are usually not plumb at 90 and 270 degrees, even though you have the rest of the bracket level.

I leveled the mounting bracket and secured it tightly to my tower, then I put an 18" pry bar inside the round mast(without the dish installed)and bent it until it was plumb on four sides. I think being plumb is more critical with the oval dish than with the round 18" dish. It sure seemed to make a big difference in getting both satellites tuned in. I had been fighting it before I did this.

------------------

Ron

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is there a "auto-config" type function on your DTC-100 to make sure the unit is talking to the switch correctly? I had the very same problem when installing an oval dish for my Mits HD-5. I was getting only the 119. Then, I ran the auto-config. Bingo - I instantly had both. Also, make sure you have the LNB-A outputs to the LNB-A inputs (and B to B) on the switch. Those are not interchangeable.

------------------

Mike Saemisch

·
Registered
145 Posts
The STB has to be told which dish type you are using...Oval vs round...

------------------

kenmullins

newnan, ga usa

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
btw : my DTC-100 got upgraded the other night : I thought the upgrade came thru the 101 bird, not the 119 ??

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I signed up for HBO even with the problem, now I get HBO-HD, but none of the other HBO channels

Checking the signal strength meter for 101 bird gives me typically mid 80s on all the odd transponders, but mid 70s on the even transponders above 22 (22-32). I don't get any even number transponders less than 22.

On 119, I get transponders 22-32, with high 70s to low 80s, but I suspect that it doesn't even look for lower number transponders.

Everything is installed per instructions, I do have about 90feet of RG6 cable from dish to recvr, grounded just outside the recvr.

I'm thinking the multiswitch is not working, and that I'm seeing 119 all the time. Are there 2 wtypes of multiswitches : AC controlled (22KHz) and DC (13V/18V) ???

HELP

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mike,

Have you tried the suggestions in the previous post, hooking the coaxes directly to the 101 LNB? If you followed the procedures I posted earlier, it should isolate your problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMike_49:

I did swap the connections at the multiswitch from the 101 LNB, and this is pointing me to a cable problem from LNB to switch : where I was getting only odd transponders up to # 22, now I get only even transponders up to # 23 [ in both cases, I get all transponders above 22 or 23]. One of the cables has the center wire insulator not all the way out to where it normally should go, I may try and put a new connector on it [it's the multiswitch end].
This sounds suspicious... if it were a cable problem, I would think it be consistent throughout the transponders, not just up to 22.

Just do this:

Take the 2 outputs from 101 LNB off of the multiswitch. Connect one of them directly to your RCA box and leave the other one hanging. Choose Round Dish on the RCA setup. See if that works. Then connect the other output to your box and see if it works. If both exhibit the same behavior, your cables are fine. If both exhibit the same bad behavior, then there's something wrong with the LNB. If both exhibit the same good behavior, there's something wrong with the multiswitch. If each exhibit different behaviors, there's something wrong with the cables or the LNB. The multiswitch uses the 13v/18v to switch between odd/even transponders. A 22khz tone tells the multiswitch to switch between the 2 satellites.

[This message has been edited by indadogghouse (edited 04-10-2001).]

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same problem. All I did was remove the dish and level the round mast. That solved it. I wasn't getting uniform transponder signals on 101 until I did this.

------------------

Ron

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
inadoghouse :

haven't tried direct hook-up yet : dish hangs over the edge of 2nd story roof, and it's gonnna be a scary b*tch to get the LNBs out without taking the entire antenna off the mount.

I did swap the connections at the multiswitch from the 101 LNB, and this is pointing me to a cable problem from LNB to switch : where I was getting only odd transponders up to # 22, now I get only even transponders up to # 23 [ in both cases, I get all transponders above 22 or 23]. One of the cables has the center wire insulator not all the way out to where it normally should go, I may try and put a new connector on it [it's the multiswitch end].

thanks all for the help,

ps I still don't understand how the multiswitch works, how 1 bad cable can cause such a weird problem

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
MrMike_49

As it's been stated several times now - you got to make sure the mast is plumb. I had the same problems installing my Mits HD5 system. After installing the antenna the first time and not being able to see anything other than the 119 bird I had to start over again. After reinstalling the mast, I found that the chimney mount was skewing the tilt angle of the dish. After applying the proper amount of persuasion to the mast all was well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mr. Mike_49

I was wondering if you ever resolved this problem?

------------------

Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.