AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when hanging your flat screen on a wall, do you place the TV center of the wall or do you hang the TV to where your couch/viewing will be from?

I'm in the process of finishing my basement and the TV is going to go on a wall that is a little over 25' long. I marked the middle of the wall (12.5 ft) to where I thought the TV would go.

Now when my wife and I talk about couch placement, the TV no longer "fits" where I wanted it. I could leave the TV in the middle of the wall and the couch where my wife wants but then someone on the couch will be watching TV with their head slightly turned... if that made any sense.

Instead of placing the TV middle of the wall at 12.5 ft, my wife is suggesting

that I move the TV 2-3 to the left so that the couch won't look out of place and every one has a straight view. I don't have a problem doing that, but will this long 25 ft wall look odd if the TV is placed more to one side over the other?

So, what is the correct way to hang your TV?

Find the center of the wall or place TV to fit your viewing needs?

·
Registered
95 Posts
it's a tv....it is supposed to be viewed from a neutral position as much as possible. This means limiting head movement left, right, up and down.

The seating area should be centered on the tv as much as possible or at least the seats that will be used primarily for viewing tv.

If you don't watch that much tv or movies then place it wherever you wish.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 /forum/post/18290138

I'm in the process of finishing my basement and the TV is going to go on a wall that is a little over 25' long. I marked the middle of the wall (12.5 ft) to where I thought the TV would go.

Now when my wife and I talk about couch placement, the TV no longer "fits" where I wanted it. I could leave the TV in the middle of the wall and the couch where my wife wants but then someone on the couch will be watching TV with their head slightly turned... if that made any sense.

Instead of placing the TV middle of the wall at 12.5 ft, my wife is suggesting

that I move the TV 2-3 to the left so that the couch won't look out of place and every one has a straight view. I don't have a problem doing that, but will this long 25 ft wall look odd if the TV is placed more to one side over the other?

So, what is the correct way to hang your TV? Find the center of the wall or place TV to fit your viewing needs?

Sounds like you're having a Monk Moment
The TV needs to be directly across from the couch. Don't you think it would bother you to watch an off-center TV more than obsessing about the differences in the amount of wall space to the left and right of the TV? What does it matter if there's more wall space on one side of the TV? You could fill that extra space with pictures or a book case or sumthin.

Another option is to use a scissor-type articulated wall mount where you can leave the TV centered on the wall when it's not in use, but swing it over so it's more in line with the couch when you want to watch it. Win-Win

·
Registered
223 Posts
Centered with the couch is a good idea.

Another important issue is where the studs are in the wall. Even if you decided that you wanted the TV in the center of the wall, there might not be studs right there where you want to mount it and it would be off center anyways.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidoroboo /forum/post/18293206

Centered with the couch is a good idea.

Another important issue is where the studs are in the wall. Even if you decided that you wanted the TV in the center of the wall, there might not be studs right there where you want to mount it and it would be off center anyways.

That is something to watch for, but if that were to come up, then a ledger board could be attached to the studs then the mount attached to the board to center the tv on the couch or seating area

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/18292007

Sounds like you're having a Monk Moment
The TV needs to be directly across from the couch. Don't you think it would bother you to watch an off-center TV more than obsessing about the differences in the amount of wall space to the left and right of the TV? What does it matter if there's more wall space on one side of the TV? You could fill that extra space with pictures or a book case or sumthin.

Another option is to use a scissor-type articulated wall mount where you can leave the TV centered on the wall when it's not in use, but swing it over so it's more in line with the couch when you want to watch it. Win-Win

Thanks Randy.

Yeah I did "try" to picture myself sitting where the couch would go and where I wanted the TV. That didn't feel to good having to turn my head to watch TV.

I'll move the TV to where the boss wants the sofa placed.

I didn't know if there was a rule of thumb when it came to this.

Thanks all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts