AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TWC just attempted to install an HD box and failed. The first box didn't work at all, the second got the non HD channels but didn't deliver video on the HD channels. I have an ONKYO 989 av receiver and a Sony Plasma TV (PFM-510A2WU). The installer (who was very nice) said that the the component video had to "go to an HD receiver" and that was why I couldn't get the 700 channels. This makes no sense to me since the TV was receiving and showing a 1080 picture on the non HD channels and I have been getting a perfectly good HD picture through my Panny STB for CBS.

My question -

Does anyone know whether the component output from the SA2000HD needs any additional processing or should it run on a component monitor like mine. I'm sorry if this is confusing but I am confused.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The Explorer 2000HD can be switched between three-wire component YPrPb (default) or five-wire RGBHV. There is an internal jumper to set the mode. Did your installer verify the default on your box(s) was set correctly? When the box was turned on, did it ever download the advanced services (assume your TW works like it does here)?

I agree with Mr Mason; take out the Onyko till you get the box operational.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'mnot sure what you mean by advanced services. He rebooted the box several times. It was outputting on three wires (through the Onkyo) on the non HD stations.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It took TWC 3 days before my 2000 HD box worked. So be patient with them. Generally, the TWC guys are very nice, and admits to the fact that they have never done this (HDTV) stuff before.

Paul

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He said upanother appointment for next week and is going to try the box this afternoon on his next appointment to see if it's the box or my setup. I think I should try for the appointment even if the box works.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
As I understand it, the advanced services provides (and downloads) instructions for the digital tv programming which includes hdtv (your TW could be using different firmware). My box is able to send through the lower analog stations if it has no advanced services (happens sometimes on a reboot and it cannot get the advanced services immediately). But I generally watch most standard programming over S-Video vice component since I prefer not to use the HD mode unless its HD or SD vice NTSC. Yeah I know, clear as mud.... Bruce

ps: this is definitely new, I am customer #3 here in a town(county) of 50k(100k). Not sure of Columbia which has the main office.

[This message has been edited by bdenman (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just got a call from the installer the box had the same problem at his next appointment so it doesn't seem to be my setup. Thank you all for your advice.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Have to assume, since you know about your current HDTV setup with a Panasonic STB, that the 2000HD 3-wire component output goes to the corresponding component jacks on your plasma. (There's also a way to hook up the 2000HD in 5-wire RGBHV mode, detailed in other threads). Also trust the Onkyo isn't even in the loop. The 2000HD should have been tried initially plugged directly into the plasma component-in jacks. If it fails there, and you have a RGBHV input, that might solve the problem. Also, when they installed mine last Monday, had to do some mental grinding initially to get the correct input-menu setting with my RPTV (numerous options). -- John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the video on the onkyo is just an expensive switch box. The documentation says it just passes through the signal, which it did on the SD stations. The picture was there on the SD stations upconverted (not very well) to 1080 so I assume the box was set to 3 component.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
IMO, using the Onkyo is step two. First step is trying the 2000HD directly to the plasma inputs. If that works, and using the Onkyo as a switcher doesn't, that is the problem. -- John

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 08-10-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.