AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a sub for my primarily HT system and came across this sub with this listed frequency response:

Anechoic Frequency Response:

30 Hz - 200Hz (+/-2dB)

F3 (-3dB) = 17Hz and 250Hz

What is the F3?

· Registered
1,371 Posts
F3: The roll-off frequency at which the driver's response is down -3dB from the level of it's midband response.

· Registered
353 Posts
What sub did you get? Roll off at 17Hz is pretty darn good, I just want to make sure your not throwing away your hard earned money on a sub that is not worth it.

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by combos99 /forum/post/18131820

What sub did you get? Roll off at 17Hz is pretty darn good, I just want to make sure your not throwing away your hard earned money on a sub that is not worth it.

Thanks for the thought. I haven't actually bought one yet, still shopping and comparing, but its the new Triad Silver OmniSub. I absolutely love Triad products (having Paul Scarpelli roaming the boards helps) and I insist on doing business with my local dealer who is fantastic and who I've built a great relationship with so ID subs are out.

· Registered
276 Posts
 http://www.triadspeakers.com/product...isub.html#tab1

Looks like a pretty nice sub, specs are nice. Roll off at 17Hz seems a little generous though, but I could be wrong. The only other thing is that it seems not very heavy, only 51lbs. But as long as you like it and it sounds good to you, go for it. I wish I had some cool local high-end dealers. Oh well, I dont need to spend any more money, haha.

· Registered
1,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchanjam /forum/post/18129789

I am looking for a sub for my primarily HT system and came across this sub with this listed frequency response:

Anechoic Frequency Response:

30 Hz - 200Hz (+/-2dB)

F3 (-3dB) = 17Hz and 250Hz

What is the F3?

The specs look suspicious to me. It is saying that 17hz is 3dB down from whatever the sensitivity is. That is almost an octave down.

Even a sealed box (which has the slowest rolloff) is 6dB per octave. So it should be further down.

however maybe they are playing a "spec game". Such as using the +/-2dB as what they call "flat" (which will actually give a freq that is 4dB down from the peak (usually what many wrongly call the "sensitivity".

Then they take another 3dB down from that number and call it the -3dB point-but in reality it is actually 7 dB down.

Just part of the "game" some manufacturers like to play to get more impressive numbers.

If you had an actual measured response graph-then you could see where the numbers come from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.