AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working designing a budget HTPC. Here is the list of components I have so far.

Case Antec Overture II Like Antec build quality

Mother Board ASUS K8N4-E Deluxe PCI-E video, NFORCE

CPU AMD Sempron 64 2600+

RAM crucial 512 mb

Video Card Aopen 6600 Fanless

Tuner Card H. PVR-150 MCE

Hard Drive Samsung 160gb

Optical Drive Lite On DVD Writer

OS MC 2005 w/remote

I am mainly interested in easy access to my digital music collection and PVR functions. I will also use for DVD playback. I was also thinking of using it for OTA HDTV if the TV I buy does not have a built in tuner. I currently have a basic SDTV with composite input but will upgrade TV next, most likely a 30 to 34 inch widescreen tube HDTV with HDMI input. I am confused about what to get for a video card. From what I have read a 6600 is the minimum for MCE 2005 for HDTV output. What I don’t understand is why. If I use a lesser 5000 series card with a DVI to HDMI cable why wouldn’t I be able to send a 720P of 1080I signal to the HDTV. Any help would be appreciated and any thoughts on my setup would be welcome.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
MCE uses VMR9 render only to display video

so the video card requirements are higher than an app that does not

but the benefit is a smoother, more fluid like picture, with better color detail

I would keep the 6600 and if the one you choose does not have component output (HDTVout)

I would look for one that does

and use it instead of DVI to HDMI

especially if you plan to buy a HD DVD/Blu ray player in the near future as well

which require using HDMI (and it is unlikely you will be able to upgrade your HTPC to playback HD resolution DVDs)

one more, since you are considering a CRT based HDTV, component vs HDMI should made little to no difference

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.