AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a polk setup, monitor 10s for mains, fxi 30s for rears, csi 20 for center. The monitor 10s are getting tired, and I even replaced the drivers but still splat from too much bass on just one speaker (could be bad x-over or poorly sealed, but anyhow..). I want to move up and get a better quality speaker for the mains, like KEF, Paradygm, Monitor, etc. My receiver is a Sony ES with 100x5.

Any advice as to trying to match the other speakers or just say screw it and get whatever?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Sounds like a bass management issue to me. If you have a subwoofer, all of your Polks should be set to SMALL.

If you don't have a sub and the Monitor 10s aren't blown up (there's nothing besides a blown woofer that could cause your problem), then I would put the money into a sub before I put it into new main speakers.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not a blown driver, I just replaced them all. These have a passive radiator to help with the bass, but it seems that the cabinet isnt sealed well enough because the drivers have too much travel, thus 'splating' on extreme base (like the ship in 'Attack of the Clones' in the opening scene).

Im happy with the polks somewhat, but Ive had them for 10+ years and feel like its time for an upgrade.

·
Registered
137 Posts
With your current setup, I would give serious consideration to the newer Polk LSi series. I have not heard them, but they get the best reviews of any Polk speaker I've ever read about. If you are considering upgrading or changing your other speakers, then still look at the LSi's. But also, you would open up a whole lot of other possibilities.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the price of the LSi's I would much rather have the KEF XQ-3's. Im looking more at aroun $500-$700 for the replacement. That would get me some Monitor Audio Silver S-2's or S-6's, Paradigm monitor 5 or 7 , KEF Q-5's. I really like the sound of the paradigm pw-2200 sub, so I may get that first.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EricD
Its not a blown driver, I just replaced them all. These have a passive radiator to help with the bass, but it seems that the cabinet isnt sealed well enough because the drivers have too much travel, thus 'splating' on extreme base (like the ship in 'Attack of the Clones' in the opening scene).
With new drivers, it is NOT a speaker problem. You are driving the speaker with excessive signals below the resonant tuning frequency of the "vented" system (a passive radiator is a variation of a ported speaker).

It would not be at all surprising to drive speakers into excessive excursion with Dolby Digital soundtracks.

If you don't have a powered subwoofer, you should get one. Otherwise, you should be prepared to spend many thousands of dollars on full-range speakers and amplifiers that can reproduce a Dolby Digital soundtrack. You really have little chance of reliable high SPL output without a powered sub.

If you do have a powered sub, then you've got bass management configuration issues: most likely, you have the Polk's set to LARGE. This misconfiguration would definitely cause your problem -- not "leaky" cabinets.

In a properly configured system with a powered subwoofer, there is no reason that your Polk Monitor 10s shouldn't perform flawlessly. You may or may not be happier with new speakers, but I would not expect new speakers to solve your bass excursion problems. In other words, I think you are trying to solve a very simple problem in the wrong way by spending more money on new gear. It would be a lot simpler to just fix the system configuration problem with a total expenditure of $30 on a Radio Shack SPL meter.

Get the system dialed in and, then, decide if you want new speakers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When you listen to the Paradigm Monitor 7's, ask to hear the Studio 60's while you're at it. That may shake a few hundred loose to step up to the Studio's.

If you can pull it off, the Paradigm Servo/15 can give you far more bass control. I like keeping my Studio/cc and 4 Studio/60's all set to Large, and the sub crossed over at 35 Hz. Sometimes for "over the top" flicks like AOTC or LOTR, I'll crank up the crossover to 45-50 HZ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.