Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else like...

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend has decided to invest in her home audio set up. With the help of the forum, we have decided to go with the following for her 3.1 setup:

Elemental Designs A6 6T6 MTM tower speakers

Elemental Designs A6 6T6 MTM single centrer channel

We can't decide what sub to get.

We are considering the following:

Package deal from ED, A2 250 which adds $162

We actually want to get the A2 300, which bumps the driver from a 10 to a 12, but it is not offered as a package deal. I'm a little leery of a 10 inch driver, and I do not know how good the ED subs are.

Acoustic Audio HD-SUB12 - $200

They are out of black right now, so we would have to wait. I have the 15, and I like it for what I paid, though I will upgrade one day. She doesn't want something that big so we were considering the 12.

Hsu STF-2 Subwoofer - $350

Only a 10 inch driver, but I have heard good things about Hsu.

Last but not least(and I'm really trying to talk her into this one
)

VTF-1 Subwoofer - $450

It's a 12 and good stuff. She just can't justify the extra $100.

Any other recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I would also entertain the thought of the PB-10NSD from SVS. It will likely outperform all of the subs listed except for the Hsu.

If you watch more HT then I'd go with the PB-10, more music I'd go with the Hsu STF-2.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have that exact 3.1 setup but with the A5-350 as my sub and its crazy nice, the more sub the better, so give them a call, they might be able to bundle the A2-300 with the 15% discount!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Emailed elemental and they won't discount the sub. Very disappointed since we would be spending quite a bit(at least for us) with them.

A couple of things I would love clarification on, if you don't mind:

What do you give up with a 10 vs a 12 or 15? Is it just volume? She's in an apartment, so it doesn't need to be crazy loud. I just want really good sound quality. Theoretically, I don't think freq response is determined by cone size, correct?

It's hard to decide what to get because I can't listen first. I just don't want to steer her wrong.

Also, does it make sense to get the whole set up from the one vendor? What are the drawbacks of a sub from someone else? On the flip side, what is the benefit of getting the entire set up from one vendor?

Forgot to check out SVS. I will take a look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts