AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i calibrate my speakers with avia? i went to radioshack and bought the digital spl meter. I went home and try it but so far no luck.

First i set my reciever level to 50. AT 50 my front left speaker is set at 75db. then i switch to center channel, i adjust the speaker level so it read 75. I did that for all the speakers, using the pinknoise test. Then, when i went to the wideband pinknoise test. i dont know why, but the spl meter read its over 80db. the other thing is if i use the pinknoise on my reciever its around 10db lower than avia. Which one do i use? hope that make sense

·
Registered
4,054 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
175 Posts
Are you saying you get one result (in terms of speaker balance settings) when you use the AVIA speaker balancing tones and another result (that is, different "recommended" settings) if you try the same procedure with the alternate wideband pink noise tones provided in the AVIA "system evaluation" (or whatever it is called) section?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would recommend using the Avia's tracks, since the DVD player is the source of the audio output that you are trying to calibrate. Using the receiver's internal pink noise generator does not account for any variance in the DVD players internal hardware/software, nor does it take into account the interconnects, on input stage of your amplifier.

When you say the measurement goes over 80dB, I take it you are referring to the track on the Avia disc that produces pink noise through all the speakers at the same time. This is normal. In theory, if one speaker produces 75dB at a given wattage, then doubling the wattage or cone area will increase SPL by 3dB (10%). If you then have 2 identical speakers running off 2 channels of amplification you should see a 6dB increase. (3dB for doubling power and 3dB for doubling cone area). Then doubling that, would be another 3dB which should be 84db for 4 speakers. So with 5 speakers you should be around 10dB louder than just the one speaker.

Think of it this way, to double the SPL output of a speaker, you would need 10 times the power, or the same power, but with 10 speakers instead of 1.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1233 /forum/post/0

I would recommend using the Avia's tracks, since the DVD player is the source of the audio output that you are trying to calibrate. Using the receiver's internal pink noise generator does not account for any variance in the DVD players internal hardware/software, nor does it take into account the interconnects, on input stage of your amplifier.

When you say the measurement goes over 80dB, I take it you are referring to the track on the Avia disc that produces pink noise through all the speakers at the same time. This is normal. In theory, if one speaker produces 75dB at a given wattage, then doubling the wattage or cone area will increase SPL by 3dB (10%). If you then have 2 identical speakers running off 2 channels of amplification you should see a 6dB increase. (3dB for doubling power and 3dB for doubling cone area). Then doubling that, would be another 3dB which should be 84db for 4 speakers. So with 5 speakers you should be around 10dB louder than just the one speaker.

Think of it this way, to double the SPL output of a speaker, you would need 10 times the power, or the same power, but with 10 speakers instead of 1.

im not home right now. all i can remember is when u first start the speaker setup, there's these pinknoise that play really fast around all the channel. then after that test, there's the one that let you pick each speakers out and calibrate them to 75db. Fast Forward a few more speaker test and subwoofer setup, it show me another pinknoise test. It's call "Wideband Pinknoise" when i run that test for each speaker seperately, the spl meter read around the high 80 db. but if i go back to the first pinknoise test on the cd the spl meter read 75db. which test do i go with? i hope that make sense thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When using the "full frequency" AVIA test, you should use the A weighting on the meter, and make sure your subwoofer is off.

The full frequency test is done in professional calibrations and is more accurate than the typical pink noise that is centred around 1 kHz and is only about 1 octave wide, in home setups.

Because the full frequency pink noise contains bass frequencies, your subwoofer will automatically kick in, so make sure it is off. Also use the A weighting on your meter as it will also help to filter out the bass frequencies.

The end result is a pink noise test that is much wider in frequency than the typical relatively narrow band pink noise, with a reduction in bass, which the subwoofer handles anyways.

Good Luck,

Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.