AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm pretty new to this and don't know a whole lot about setting up my PC with a HT so bear with me. I think I'm posting in the right area but maybe not.

I have an HP media center PC with the following:

Nvidia 8500GT (HDMI, DVI, S-Video)

ViXS PureTV-U 48B0 (NTSC/ATSC Combo)

Vista Media Center

Remote and IR dongle and IR blaster

22" HP monitor

Will have (on order)

Samsung LN40A530

Motorola DCT-6200 cable box

I'm wondering if I will be able to hook up both my new TV and me existing PC to my HDTV box independently. I want to be able to use MCE to record TV using it's guide and then play it back on my TV. I also want to be able to watch TV on the samsung while the recording is taking place or use my computer for other things while watching TV. I basically want to know if this set up will allow for 2 feeds to be coming out of the cable box at one time? It seems to me like this how most would have a HTPC set up but I'm probably completely wrong, maybe they do it all from their HTPC.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I would like to have this set up ready for when my TV gets here. I have been trying to find this info in the forums but the information just seems a little over my head, so sorry if these questions seem simple.

Thanks,

Ivor

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You questions will probably be better answered in the htpc forum. You need to have a tuner for your computer and software to drive it. The video capture card (tuner) will be able to capture clear QAM and analog programming to your harddrive. The cableco wants you to pay for the HD programming so typically the only clear QAM stations are your local networks. Some have a few more stations. If you purchase the HD DVR from hauppauge, you can record HD to computer using the component output from your stb. Only certain software can drive the HD DVR and you need a high performance machine to play the resulting files. Lots of discussion on this in the htpc forum. see: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1015617

·
Registered
673 Posts
I no longer have cable, but when I did I used the firewire port on the Motorola box to record any, even ESPNHD - etc, HD programming to my PC by firewire. I have not done it for years, but it was easy to do if you have the correct programs and drivers. Just serach for the thread. search for "motorola cable to PC record" or something like that.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,723 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts