AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help! Can PS be used to configure the “TwinView†capability of my GeForce2 GO (Inspiron 8100 laptop)? I have not been able to figure out how to configure the external (VGA) port. I would like to configure the external VGA port to be used for my HDTV (Sony 36XBR400). I’m using an external VGA to YPbPr converter (Audio Authority) which works fine at 640x480 (480p) and should also support 540p (max of the Sony). I tried getting just 640x480 working on the VGA port using the display driver configuration, but it keeps setting the VGA port to the same resolution as the LCD (1400 x 1050). This is way to high for the HDTV. When I tried using PS, I was not able to figure out how to get the second display recognized. I believe the GeForce2 Go is capable of doing this from what I read at their website, but proof is in the pudding…

BTW, I'm using Win XP.

Can anyone get me started in the right direction?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
A friend of mine has the Geforce2 Go chipset on his DELL. QUITE different than the regular Geforce2 chipset.

The way the GO 'twin view' works it that it simply makes one double size (wide or tall) desktop. For example, if you stack the monitors, the desktop is simply a big long desktop. With the more 'common' dual monitor setups, each monitor is in itself it's own desktop, simply connected. I hope that makes sense. I'm guessing that the GO used a single DAC to do the desktops at doubled resolutions like 2048x768 for wide, or 1024x1536 for tall, while more conventional cards use 2 DAC's to do the desktops, and each desktop could be 1024x768 for example.

The short answer, yes you probably could do it, but you will have a bit less flexibility than if you used a 'standard non-GO' chipset Geforce2 card.

Oz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t know if what you’re saying regarding the “bigger desktop†is exactly true. I say this because there is a “Clone†option that allows you to display the same information on both the LCD and the VGA port. The issue is setting these to differing resolutions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm using a dell inspiron 8100 for some htpc work. I have a 1GHZ cpu and 32mb GeForce2 Go running windows XP.

Here is how I get powerstrip to run the external vga analog monitor.

In the control panel or from the desktop, select Display Properties, Settings. Advanced, this should get you to the NVIDIA GeForce2 driver panel. Then select the TwinView tab.

Now your external monitor needs to be plugged in, it seems to detect if there is an external monitor attached, and if not, this doesn't work. Also if you enter the NVIDIA driver panel and then plug in the monitor, it won't detect it. So you have to close it returning to Display Properties, then select Advanced again. If the external monitor is not detected, the clone button will be grayed out. So with the external monitor plugged in and turned on, and the selections for Standard and Clone both select able, we continue:

Select clone, then apply. There is a disclaimer message, then the screen will blank for a couple seconds, then back on, and you need to press 'yes' to keep the setting. Now the external display is on and running the same screen as the lcd display. Of course, you have to have an external display device that can sync at 1600x1200 resolution. I think you can change the resolution to 800x600 before doing this, and it will all stay at 800x600 after the external monitor comes on in case 1600 is too fast for your external monitor. My sony 1272 has no problem.....

Next, In the 'Display' scroll box, select "TwinView Display 2: Analog Monitor", and then check the box that says "Make this the primary display". Apply.

Now powerstrip works on the external 'primary' monitor. If you click 'OK' and return to the display properties panel, you will now see all the custom resolutions you have set up, (or will set up).

One more note on this and DVD playback. I assume you would like to play a DVD to your external device, and get a quality playback:

If you leave your LCD display on along with the external monitor in clone mode, there is a conflict between the refresh rate of the lcd (60hz) and the external monitor (hopefully a multiple of 24hz).

I see this as very noticeable tearing motion artifact. My test DVD for this is the beginning of Shakespear In Love. The intro pan across the water to the city (the mirimax logo clip) is very demanding, and this will be very jerky, not a smooth pan across the water at all. After you select 'play' to start the movie, you see the mirimax logo pan again, this hits 10Mbit/sec video and pegs my cpu at over 90%. After that is the 'Universal Studios' logo, the characters fly in from the right of the screen and order themselves as they travel right to left across the screen. A great clip to check for motion artifacts. Next is the pan of the theater, moving from the top of the roof spiraling down to the floor. A very hard clip to get a smooth pan. With both the lcd and the external monitor refreshing from the same GeForece2 controller, it just doesn't work. Anyone who can watch this (with the lcd running and the extreme motion artifacts produced) with no complaint should just go buy a 13" tv for $100 and some vhs tapes and forget-about-it.

So to get this right and have a good dvd playback, you want to turn off the lcd and run just the external monitor. To do this, select Advanced again from the Display Properties panel, and in the NVIDIA panel, select TwinView tab, then select Standard and then Apply. Now you are all external, the lcd is off, and the GeForce2 is free to work on just the external display.

Now from here, you run the Shakespear intro again and it's much nicer, no tearing artifacts in the Universal logo or as you pan through the theater. So you may be satisfied here.

But to get this truly running right, you need to get a refresh rate running at a multiple of 24. If you display can't do it, just know that there's better stuff out there and keep it in mind when you buy another display.

Select at a minimum 72Hz refresh, in power strip, it's going to be something close, like 71.989 or some fraction close to 72. Now play the intro, with PowerDVD 4.0, it's still a little rough, and you notice just after panning into the theater, the texture of the roof isn't quite as good as it is with WinDVD 3.0. I like the great features of PowerDVD, and cpu load is about 60% here, so it may be better on a slower cpu, but for the smoothest and best looking video, use WinDVD 3.0, the cpu load is 85%, and it's very smooth. If you projector can handle it, pick something like 1280x720 at 120Hz. Now run the intro, and you'll see a pan as smooth as a baby's bottom. Truly amazing. I've yet so see anything that will match this at 60hz, it just can't be done.

If someone could explain the timing between these scenarios, I'd like to hear it. I know I can easily see it. I've been working on my own theory, and corrections are welcome: As I see it, the frames come from the DVD 24 per second, after each frame is decoded from the mpeg stream, the GeForce2 continually sends it out to the monitor during each refresh cycle, until the mpeg decoder has another one ready. Whatever frame is ready when the refresh starts is the one that is sent out. The frames arrive each 1/24 sec, and are sent out at 1/60 sec intervals (for 60Hz), the first frame will go out 3 times. Sometime during the third frame being sent out, the mpeg decoder has the next one ready. It goes out 2 times until the third frame is ready, then back to 3 of these being sent until the next one arrives and it repeats. Occasionally there will be two series of three, or two series of two, depends if the timing is slightly fast or slow, then back to 2:3:2:3. For the most part there is 50% change in the duration of the frames. If there is a lot of movement in the video in these frames, like the examples above, it doesn't move smoothly. If the frames are sent out at 72hz, then every 1/72 sec a frame is sent out, this is about a 3:1 ratio. so frames go out 3:3:3:3... Occasionally because the timing isn't exact, one frame will go out twice or four times, but that's every couple seconds or so. At 120hz, frames go out 5:5:5:5 and occasionally one goes out 4 or 6 times, a much smaller change in timing instead of 50% at 60Hz, so it is less noticeable and occurs much less often. So the video looks much smoother.

Granted, even the 50% change in duration is acceptable to most people, but we're after perfection, right? The most perfect display would be to dynamically change the refresh rate ever so slightly depending on if you were slightly getting behind one frame or ahead one frame, so that every frame has the same number of refresh fields sent to the monitor. This would take a cross between WinDVD and powerstrip (and a crt controller on the video card that can be reprogrammed on the fly). I've read that a new faroudja native rate scaler will have the dvd player built in, I think it's so they can do just that.

Kent

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.