AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to post another "is this a good price" thread, but the knowledge regarding subs in this forum far outpaces my own.

So, I have been offered a three-year old Velodyne CT-80 for $100. It's an 8-inch sub, and it is in great condition. This sounds to me like a good deal, but I thought I'd check here first.

I'd be using it in a 4.1 system--mostly for music, but also for films.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
95 Posts
My only concern would be some kind of hidden damage, but who knows. As far as the quality, I have a CT-100 and I play my system with both music and video to the point where I don't want it any louder and neither do my neighbors and I've never had a hiccup out of the sub. My theater room is 14x20. Now you could fry eggs on the reciever..

·
Registered
497 Posts
It is a very goog sub for the money. For your room size it will play well at most volumes, but in heavy bass scens it will distort AKA make farting noises

At $100 there is no risk here unless it is defective.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I ended up buying it; I even talked the guy down to $90. The enclosure was rather filthy; I think he must have put it in some corner of his living room and not touched it for three years. But it certainly works, and the important parts are clean.

I haven't had much time to play with it yet. But because I live in an apartment and can't turn it up too loud, the small amount of listening that I did do made me worry that I wasted the money, as I discovered by comparison that my four bookshelves actually put out a respectable amount of bass. So I worried that the sub perhaps was a bit unnecessary. But since it clearly catches tones below what my bookshelves can, and it spares them the strain of producing the low bass notes, I suppose it is good to have. I look forward to playing with it more.

One question: can I place one of my bookshelves on top of the subwoofer? I have insignia bookshelves, which are unshielded. I wouldn't suspect that it would be a problem to put it there, but I wonder if the magnetic fields might somehow cause the speaker and sub to damage each other. Thoughts?

Thanks for all of the advice. It really gave me confidence in the purchase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.