AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an AX100 and am very happy with it. My room is 15x30, and I have it celing mounted approx. 7-1/2 feet high at about mid-room shooting to the end wall that is 15ft wide onto a 92" screen.

The room is both a playroom for the kids (air hockey, ping pong, etc) as well as the HT room. It is in the basement and there are no windows and it has a solid door, so I have full control over ambient lighting.

The room is currently painted all white - walls and ceiling. I bought the Panny from Costco, together with the 92" GreyWolf II pull down screen I feel like I can go larger on the screen - may be 106-110" and so I am thinking about replacing the screen and repainting.

I notice that there is a ton of reflected light off the white walls. I expect we will paint at some point, but chances are my wife will not want to paint the walls a very dark color.

Do folks have suggestions as to what screen might work better? I'd like to keep the cost to $500-600 or so, and am wondering whether I should have gotten a white screen. An electric screen is not important to me, but I would consider a fixed frame, though the pull down is nice so I don't have to worry about the kids marking it or shooting nerf darts at it (boy, aged 11, girl, aged 8).

Any painting suggestions would be appreciated too.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
painting the room will help more than a different screen

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
I just went thru something similar two weekends ago and I documented it in this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...86#post9513486

I had a somewhat similar problem but my desire to keep the room bright for some uses while gaining the benefits of dark wall surfaces for others lead me to the solution I did.

You are in a basement so first off that's a good thing most likely you have total light control coming in. if you haven't you should put all lights on dimmer circuits and have them so they can be dimmed in groups starting near the screen and moving back to the viewing/ seating area. The room can then be looked at as two ends the end you sit in can remain bright and light colors and will give the room that light bright feel. The third of the room near the screen is where most of the problems happen and in my case that's the ceiling and walls I painted. I have had people complement me on the look that really had no idea why I did it from the projection stand point they just thought I was doing some designer accent wall thing.

You don't have to go black ether flat black is best but any flat dark color will really make a major improvement when dealing with ambient.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg /forum/post/0

painting the room will help more than a different screen

Agree, a screen isn't going to help with reflected light.

I know the wife doesn't want dark, but you don't have to do black or brown, a nice deep blue or red should help eat some of the refelction, and still look good when the lights are on

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.