Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a noob, please help.

I've recently set up an AE700U connected via VGA to my 6800GT video card. When I connect my LCD monitor to my video card and run 1280 x 1024 (native resolution for monitor display), then play any video clip full screen, the clips can be various resolutions, for instance DVD, 720p, or other stuff with lower resolution. Whatever the clip is, the video will always fill the screen width, and the monitor still reports 1280 x 1024.

Now here's the problem, when I connect my projector, then change my resolution to 1280 x 720 (native resolution of projector) and select full screen, the video never goes full screen unless the video clip happens to be 720p material. If it works one way for my monitor, why does my projector work differently? Bear in mind that when playing a DVD on full screen on my monitor, the monitor still reports that the resolution is 1280 x 1024, it DOES NOT change resolution. So it makes me think the PC is scaling the image up, so why doesn't it do that when connected to the projector?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The problem is how the PC handles sending 16:9 content to a 4:3 display(it is apparently zoom it instead of letterboxing it) is diifferent than how it hancles sending 4:3 content to a 16:9 display in full screen mode (it does not automatically stretch it). You may be able to find out from your video card user manual how to make it do what you want.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
The PC doesn't have any say in this. The media player software does. If you use Zoom Player or TheaterTek, these players know how to handle the different AR's from sources like DVD and media files.

Some media files are flagged with the proper AR, others are not. The two players mentioned above will allow to manually control the AR, even if the source is not flagged or even mis-flagged.

Vern

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. It isn't a problem related to aspect ratio. Windows Media Player, Realplayer both fill one direction of the screen on the monitor whether it be 4:3 or 16:9.

I've done some more testing, the problem is this, in clone mode on the 6800GT, one of the displays can be configured to play any video that is playing, in full screen mode. I need to make sure that the full screen mode chooses a specific aspect ratio, not let it choose, because not the best aspect ratio is being chosen. Let me give an example. I might play a video clip with 352 x 288, full screen mode will display a 640 x 480 image, with the image filling one direction of the screen. This means some upscaling is being done. What I need to happen is to not allow full screen mode to choose anything other than 1280 x 720. How do I do this??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.