Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TV and VCR is connected such that the RF Signal is first sent to

the VCR (via RF In) before being sent to the TV (via the VCR RF Out).

I guess this should be the standard connection for everyone else too.

When I'm using the TV by itself (VCR off and signal bypass the VCR

Internal TV Tuner circuit), the picture is very clear but when I

switch the TV to Video mode and use the VCR tuner (via the Video Out

RCA sockett), the picture quality drops and becomes noisy. Doesn't

anyone else have the same problem?

I am trying to feed a TV signal to my line doubler but would want to

avoid using the VCR Video Out because of what I consider as inferior

picture quality.

I've also tried using WinTV PCI card but have this scrolling bands

across the image due to some intereference. Furthermore, switching

on the PC is a hassle.

a. Are there VCRs (PAL signal) that have very good Video out for its

TV Signals?

b. Does it matter whether the VCR uses RCA or S-Video for its Video

output or is the picture quality dependent on the quality of the

Internal TV Tuner itself? In Singapore, it is almost impossible

to find a VCR with S-Video output.

c. For a D-VHS VCR, does the TV Signal that comes out of its Video

Out good? Any difference compared to the TV's TV Tuner?

My apologies if I've posted this in the wrong forum. Please let me

know which forum should I post this question to instead. Thanks.

DVDUSER8

·
Registered
221 Posts
I suppose it depends on which vcr you are using, I can tell you noone with a dvhs deck will be able to tell you anything about ntsc picture quality of the in-built tuners. I have a jvc 30k, which outputs its tuner to its component and firewire outs, the component outs are alright, however the firewire (which I presume you may not be interested in) look horrible due to mpeg2 compression on an already lousy ntsc signal (with its own prior compression and noise artifiacts to boot).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ahmed, thanks for the info. I'm using a Panasonic NV-HD655, not really a high end model. Not sure whether their Super VHS models will be of any improvement.

Do you see a significant difference when using the components out compared to if the tuning is done by your TV itself? I've seen D-VHS in action before and I must say I'm truly impressed. Problem is that I'm not sure where to buy D-VHS software.

DVDUSER8

·
Registered
192 Posts
Way back in the days that I was working for a TV station, I tried hooking up the video output of my Sony Betamax SL-2710 Beta-HiFi VCR to one of the waveform monitors at the station. It was kinda fun to look at the various test signals that most stations put in the vertical interval. You get color bars, multiburst and other things so that you can diagonse frequency response, group delay, linearity and all kinds of cool stuff.

Apart from a bit of high frequency rolloff, like maybe a db or so - that old Betamax was almost good enough for use as a backup demodulator for use in Master Control. Except of course for the fact that it didnt have a "chopper pulse" for making precise measurements of the transmitters depth of modulation. Oh well. First VCR I ever owned.

Still have it somewhere, though the transport jammed up on it I think. My brother's got one too. His has a stuck tape in his also, maybe because of a dead power supply. I've even got a service manual for the things. Maybe some day I'll get all of the pieces in the same place at the same time and be able to scrounge up enough parts to make one of them come back to life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.