AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I went to the states for Christmas, I moved all of my external drives with DVD folders to a smaller enclosure so I could take them with me. When I got to the US and went to watch them on my laptop's vista partition, VMC gave me an error message:

"Windows Media Center cannot play this DVD. Please restart Windows Media Center and insert this DVD again."

I wasn't sure what the problem was, but I could play the files in OSX, so I didn't worry about it while I was there.

Problem was, they didn't work when I got home either. I noticed the folders stored locally were playing back without any problems, so I tried moving some of the folders onto one of the internal drives, and they played back from there with no problems. I decided the enclosure must be at fault, and moved them back to the old one, but this did not solve the problem either.

I checked to see if other players had similar problems, but both VLC and TMT had no problems whatsoever. Whatever the issue is, it's specifically related to the VMC DVD Player. While there is the possibility of conflicts on my HTPC with other applications, the bootcamp partition was clean (I have since removed it from my MacBook).

The only thing I can think of is that maybe a software update introduced a problem?

Any other ideas?

Edit: Found a workaround on this site by means of this blog .

It works, but if anyone has a solution that they feel would work better, I'd love to hear it!

Still, as much as I'm reading about problems with VMC and external drives, I'm starting to wonder why I didn't have problems before...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts