AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. I bought a HSU VTF-15H MK2 subwoofer and have had it running only about 2 weeks. When I went to bed last night everything sounded great. I got home today and turned on all my gear to watch tv and as soon as a scene with deep bass hit my subwoofer sounded like it was going to rattle right out of the box. I have never had any issue with it before this; although I have only owned it two weeks.

There are no tears or anything in the woofer. If I press in on the center of the woofer while the bass is hitting it feels as though something is hitting the back of the woofer and if I press hard enough it takes away most of the rattle.

My settings are as follows. I have both ports closed, EQ2, Crossover 90, Phase 0. The volume on the enclosure is just slightly above minimum because when I run the audyssey setup on my denon it indicates that I have to turn it that low to get it to 75 decibels in order for Audyssey to work. After running the audyyssey setup the subwoofer is set to -3 decibels in the receiver settings and I have had it raised to 0 decibels to raise the sound a little because it was so quiet otherwise.

I definitely do not feel like I have been abusing the subwoofer at all. When I play music I don't even use the sub.

I know the subwoofer has a 7 year warranty, but this seems awfully quick to have the woofer blow. I am now really worried about the quality of this sub. I was already having a tough time trying to decide between this sub and the SVS PC-13 Ultra. I am now really wishing I had gone with SVS.

Has anyone had problems with the HSU subs like this? Should I ask them to fix it or should I ask for my money back on go get the SVS? Other than this I have loved the sub and was just about to order another one.

What is the process that I am going to have to deal with if getting it fixed? Will they send someone to my house to fix it; or will I have to take it somewhere?(I don't know how I could take it anywhere since the only car i have is a mustang and it would not fit) Will they just send me a new sub? How long will all this take? Am I going to have to deal with any out of pocket expense with HSU??

I really hate being without the sub and I hate not knowing how the HSU customer service works. :(

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
Call them to help troubleshoot. I am sure they will pay to ship the driver, amp or the whole sub to get it fixed since you only have it for two weeks. My old vtf2 had amp problem after 4yrs that costed me $100 to get it fixed and it is still working today after 7yrs (my friend has it now). Perhaps they can ship you a new one and pay to ship yours back.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Unfortunately, things happen. And that is the case for all companies. I'm sure Hsu will be eager to help solve your problem. That's a great sub, btw.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am sure Hsu will take good care of you.

Heck, your sub is still within the 30 days trial period.
That's why I was wondering if I should just return it and get the SVS. I have used an infinity sub for 11 years with not one problem and I have this for two weeks and it does this. It's pretty weird.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Bad news is...These things do happen as much as we wish they wouldn't to ALL ID sub company's once in a blue moon :( Good news is...You have a sub from one of the best in the business and I can tell you from experience Hsu's customer service on a scale of 1-10 is a 37. And the fact that they know how to make a killer sub for the $ doesn't hurt either :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I need help. I bought a HSU VTF-15H MK2 subwoofer and have had it running only about 2 weeks. When I went to bed last night everything sounded great. I got home today and turned on all my gear to watch tv and as soon as a scene with deep bass hit my subwoofer sounded like it was going to rattle right out of the box. I have never had any issue with it before this; although I have only owned it two weeks.

There are no tears or anything in the woofer. If I press in on the center of the woofer while the bass is hitting it feels as though something is hitting the back of the woofer and if I press hard enough it takes away most of the rattle.
I suggest you email and call them for a solution. You can also post in HSU forum to discuss HSU owners' experience.
I would not press or even touch the woofer though.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
That's why I was wondering if I should just return it and get the SVS. I have used an infinity sub for 11 years with not one problem and I have this for two weeks and it does this. It's pretty weird.
Why do that? You have a top-rated sub now (for about half the price of the PB13-Ultra). Just call Hsu and get it fixed.

Reactions: nalthien

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why do that? You have a top-rated sub now (for about half the price of the PB13-Ultra). Just call Hsu and get it fixed.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I am just really shocked I have had this problem this early with the sub. I have never bought from hsu before and this just bugs me.

I guess I will find out tomorrow how painful the process is to get this fixed. I hate being without the sub and like I said I have loved it to the point I was about to buy a second. I hate the idea of having to box it up and wait for it to return fixed.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Bad news is...These things do happen as much as we wish they wouldn't to ALL ID sub company's once in a blue moon :( Good news is...You have a sub from one of the best in the business and I can tell you from experience Hsu's customer service on a scale of 1-10 is a 37. And the fact that they know how to make a killer sub for the $ doesn't hurt either :)

Agreed, I have personally received stellar service from them. I liked my first sub so much, I got a second from them 60 days later.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
I hate the idea of having to box it up and wait for it to return fixed.
That's what it gonna be for ALL ID companies. Unless the enclosure is bad/damage, usually you just have to either ship the amp and/or the driver back for service. In your case, hopefully hsu sends you a new sub first then shipping yours back.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's what it gonna be for ALL ID companies. Unless the enclosure is bad/damage, usually you just have to either ship the amp and/or the driver back for service. In your case, hopefully hsu sends you a new sub first then shipping yours back.
Yeah, they were pretty cool about it. The tech guy was a little rude, but they did right by me. They shipped out a new sub that will be delivered thursday and FEDEX will pick this one up when they drop off the new one.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Got my replacement sub today. Took it out of the box and there is a one inch crack in the box that looks to be glued. To say the least I am not happy and so far less than impressed with the quality I have gotten from HSU.

When I called them they blamed fedex, but there is no way. The box was sealed perfectly. The plastic and foam wrapping hadn't been touched. I was really pissed that they tried to blame them. Like fedex removed the sub from box, cracked and glued it and then re-wrapped it perfectly.

They are supposed to be fixing this. He said he would call me back today but it has been close to 4 hours with no call back. Again not impressed with their customer service. Let's see if they get it right on the third try.

***HSU HAS TAKEN CARE OF ME. THANKS KEVIN!

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Got my replacement sub today. Took it out of the box and there is a one inch crack in the box that looks to be glued. To say the least I am not happy and so far less than impressed with the quality I have gotten from HSU.

When I called them they blamed fedex, but there is no way. The box was sealed perfectly. The plastic and foam wrapping hadn't been touched. I was really pissed that they tried to blame them. Like fedex removed the sub from box, cracked and glued it and then re-wrapped it perfectly.

They are supposed to be fixing this. He said he would call me back today but it has been close to 4 hours with no call back. Again not impressed with their customer service. Let's see if they get it right on the third try.
Did you take a pic of the glued crack? Not sure if HSU does this, but some companies will send you a refurbished/reconditioned replacement if you have a return. HSU is a long standing ID sub maker with an overall good reputation. However, I've read some less than flattering things over the past couple of years dealing with the reliability of their products and their customer support. This has led me to be hesitant to try one of their subs. Hopefully they get you squared away with a new, perfectly working sub on the third try.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Trying to uploaded some pics but my current signal is horrible. If I can't get them uploaded now I will later today. One thing that made me mad is they wanted me to either just take my money back or to take a 70.00 break on the price and live with the crack. I can't believe they suggested either without me asking for my money back. They are sending me a new one and I am a little worried. Can you believe asking me to take 70.00 off?? Hello that would still put me out of pocket over a thousand dollars and have a cracked sub. That is horrible!!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.