AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new HSU VTF-2 and love it but am having a problem with standby mode. In some circumstances, I can't get my sub to "wake up." I have a Marantz SR-8200 receiver and have the sub hooked up to the SW pre-out. Once the sub goes into standby (red light comes on), I can only get it to come on when playing DD or DTS material. When using stereo, CS or DPL2, the sub stays in standby. I know that the sub output is active because I can use the receiver generated test tone to turn on the sub and then it starts playing the stereo, CS or DPL2 source.

I have tried experimenting with the volume control of the sub. My thinking was that if I used a lower sub volume, the signal from my Marantz would need to be stronger and may trigger the wake up. I am currently at about 1/4 turn of the volume knob and no difference. I also tried using a Y connector to send the signal to both sub inputs -- nothing.

I never had this problem with my previous sub and the SVS that I auditioned for a month so I do not think it is an issue with my receiver.

Please help! I hope it is something simple.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If it always works with DD or DTS, but never works with analog sources, then the problem is almost certainly with the receiver. It sounds like the receiver's bass management doesn't work for analog sources until you jar it into operation via the test tone. Very weird.

If the problem is with the sub, then you should be experiencing the same problem with DD and DTS.

If you have a CD or DVD with test tones below your crossover point, unplug your subwoofer and play the disc while listening to the player's analog outputs. If you hear anything from your main speakers while playing a tone that is lower than your crossover, then you know the bass management in the receiver is at fault. If you hear nothing, then the problem is in the sub.

BTW, playing with your sub's output control won't help. The only way to vary the receiver's sub output is by adjusting its volume in the receiver.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Many receivers require the speakers to be set to small or the sub set to "both" in the menu for 2.1 sound. In other words, usually you can't have speakers set to large and "subwoofer" selected and expect 2.1 output from the sub.

2.1 sound

speaker small + sub

speaker large + both (sub and mains)

no 2.1 sound

speaker large + sub

Terry

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Try setting all speakers to SMALL, and setting the gain control of the Hsu down to the 10-20% range. Crank up the bass *leveler* in the receiver menu a bit to compensate(so you are still maintaining proper calibration levels). If the receiver has a *both* mode, you can also experiment with that is you want the mains to produce bass too.

TV

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK...I experimented a little based on your recommendations. The problem does indeed show up with all sources including DD and DTS. My receiver settings are as follows:

R/L = Small

C = Small

SR/SL = Small

Sub = Yes

I cranked the volume level down to 25% on the sub and re-calibrated using the test tones. Sub setting is much higher at +2dB versus -8dB before. Now the sub will turn itself on only when the receiver volume is above a certain point.

I will try going lower on the sub volume and see if it makes a difference. Is there any issue with having the sub volume extremely low and jacking up the receiver output? Most subs usually recommend a setting of 1/2 to 3/4 on the volume. Any real (technical) reason for this recommendation?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Harlow
Is there any issue with having the sub volume extremely low and jacking up the receiver output? Most subs usually recommend a setting of 1/2 to 3/4 on the volume. Any real (technical) reason for this recommendation?
I don't know of any reason why you shouldn't do as you suggest. The ouput of the sub is just a function of the input level and the volume control setting.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The subwoofer output(of the receiver) can start distorting/clipping if you approach the upper limits of the receiver's bass *leveler*. So I would stay away from the absolute max setting. For example, if the receiver goes -10 to +10 on the menu...I wouldn't go above +6 or 7 if I could help it,

TV

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TV
The subwoofer output(of the receiver) can start distorting/clipping if you approach the upper limits of the receiver's bass *leveler*. So I would stay away from the absolute max setting. For example, if the receiver goes -10 to +10 on the menu...I wouldn't go above +6 or 7 if I could help it,

TV
Actually, clipping is a phenomenon only found in power amplifiers. Line-level signals are not affected.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
>>>Actually, clipping is a phenomenon only found in power amplifiers. Line-level signals are not affected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.