AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greets all!

Long story short, I came into a little money over the X-mas holiday (actually hit a small jackpot in Vegas, no joke!) and I'm thinking about jumping on a projector upgrade (especially since this next year money will be really tight!).

I currently have an InFocus DLP 1024X768 business projector on an old 86" 4:3 Da-lite screen, with an HTPC via 30' DVI cable as my source.

I'm seeing the HC5500 at about $1950 with $500 rebate or $300 rebate with free extra bulb.

I'm very DIY and have a small garage workshop. So I was considering building a 2.40:1 screen and saving up for an Anamorphic lens....but truth be told, I'm in a bit over my head and I really don't understand how to figure if this combination is even possible.

Here is a sketch of my room I whipped together in MS Paint, and quick shot of my room:

I have a short attic above the livingroom, so I can easily run wiring for the projector up there. I'm not really concerned with where the projector winds up, as long as it doesn't hang down too low....and from what I've read, the projector typically winds up over the seating position (which the online calculator confirmed for me at about 18'). The room is 95% light controlled with (overpriced) blackout drapes, and I'm considering painting the ceiling a darker color and/or treating it with dark colored cloth covered acoustic insulation.

I'm hoping for a 50"-54" tall screen at 2.40:1 which would give me a width of ~120"-129.6"

Can you all offer some suggestions as to if I'm on the right track here. Problems I may have, and what screen options I should consider? What anamorphic lens would work with this setup? I'm thinking I want a white or light gray laminate screen...but I'm not even sure I can get this projector to work the way I want to with my (daydreamed) setup.

Sorry if this all sounds rushed...but the rebate on the projector ends tomorrow, so I need to make my plans today and put the order in tomorrow at the latest!

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

· Registered
4,740 Posts
Rather than wait on maybe getting anamorphic, take a look at the AE3000 by Panasonic that can do zoom style anamorphic mode at the press of a button. It will cost you more than the HC5500 but has several other things going for it as well that might make the cost worth it.

· Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/15413301

Rather than wait on maybe getting anamorphic, take a look at the AE3000 by Panasonic that can do zoom style anamorphic mode at the press of a button. It will cost you more than the HC5500 but has several other things going for it as well that might make the cost worth it.

Budget is an issue unfortunately. If it wasn't for the small windfall, I wouldn't be even considering upgrading into the HD world till 2010 (after Jupiter turns into another Sun). I have $2k in the bank, just enough for this projector and an inexpensive mount, and I'm hoping whatever shop I buy it from will throw in the cable. So I'm really running close to the edge as it is. I'm avoiding putting anything on Credit Card since my work hours are being cut back 20%...so I don't want any undue bills to worry about.

Edited to Add: Wow, that AE3000 looks like a fantastic projector! I'm not sure I understand how the built in anamorphic thing works, or if it works as well as an aftermarket lens...I'm going to read up on that...it's out of my budget right now though...I'd have to sell some guitar gear or something to scrounge up the extra $500, and I'd have to kiss that $500 rebate on the HC5500 goodbye.

· Registered
4,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven /forum/post/15413466

Budget is an issue unfortunately. If it wasn't for the small windfall, I wouldn't be even considering upgrading into the HD world till 2010 (after Jupiter turns into another Sun). I have $2k in the bank, just enough for this projector and an inexpensive mount, and I'm hoping whatever shop I buy it from will throw in the cable. So I'm really running close to the edge as it is. I'm avoiding putting anything on Credit Card since my work hours are being cut back 20%...so I don't want any undue bills to worry about.

I understand. I go in to work Jan 5th to find how long our company will stay open...

Sounds like you have a good deal picked out. Order your cable from monoprice.com - you will save a fortune over typical prices and get a quality cable anyway!

· Registered
4,740 Posts
At 16:9, you are looking at a 106" size screen but the HC500 will need to be 13.5 feet from the screen or closer.

I would look at the DIY Screen threads for ideas about a screen. You can paint one on a smooth panel or buy a sheet of formica or use BOC stretched over a frame. There are many good ideas in that section of the forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.