AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not an uncommon complaint for the LP340/350 projectors. Your projector is probably just fine if you want you can call Infocus Tech support and they will send you out another brand new projector (if it was purchased in the last 90 days otherwise a rebuilt). You won't even have any down time as they ship you the replacement then send Fed-Ex to pick up the other unit. I think you will find that the new unit also has the same color problem.

One thing that I should point out is that your Infocus unit is a very good unit, yet it does suffer from some performance problems. Then again it is one of the least expensive units on the market. I see a lot of people complaining about the Infocus 340/350 units and their "problems". The way I look at it is I don't have the $$$ do spend on a DILA unit and the LCD units have their own problems. So I am just happy with what I have.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I know this comment gets beaten like a dead horse around here but I feel I should mention this here in this case. To all new users out there: There is a feature on avs called SEARCH. So many questions get reasked over and over I think many members get sick of answering the same question. It usually only takes a few minutes to do a search and get the answers you need. Try it and your education will progress exponentially. There are a lot of bright people on this forum with incredible insight into problems (myself excluded http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ).

Anyway, onto your concerns. I would have to agree with your friend here. The greenish tint of 1 chip dlp's has been brought up here many times before. Some have used filters with good results. Many lcd's out there will normally produce much better colors than 1 chip dlp's. My personal favorites are NEC's and Sanyo's line of lcd projectors.

·
Registered
279 Posts
This phenomenon is indicative of 90% of single chip DLP units not just the LP340/350. I have had very good success with a pink screen or FLD filter. There are many, many posts on the subject. See the following screen shots that I have posted previosly.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...a=12144333&f=0

------------------

Regards

GMan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Many thanks to both of you.

JP, FYI, I did do extensive searching on this forum before asking my question - I searched for LP340, and I searched for "LP340 yellow" - it didn't occur to me at all that the greenish tint could be a common problem with this type of projector.

I am ready to shell out a little more $$ for a projector that produces good color.

I guess I'll be sending the Infocus back - I have a 30-day money-back. From what you've said, there's no point in asking Infocus to replace mine - and I really can't have that greenish tinging. I'll be checking the LCD projectors. It's just that there are *so* many models to choose from! But then again, that's the case with most equipment these days!

I guess what surprised me is that, as I said in my original post, I saw lots of comparisons on various websites of projectors, but none of them compared quality color rendition. Maybe too subjective an issue?

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
846 Posts
*Strong* greenish tint makes me wonder. Some people have noticed that fleshtones can tend to be greenish, but I've never heard or seen bright yellow being compared to olive.

Even in GMan's photos you can see yellow looks yellow. You can also review my photos my searching on my user name and the word photos.

I would be glad to run a comparison with you if you can supply me with some common viewing material. I'll take some snapshots and you can see whether you're looking at a limitation or a broken unit.

--Les

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
I would be glad to run a comparison with you if you can supply me with some common viewing material.
Wow, thanks - what a great idea! Pretty easy to give you examples. The following pages: http://www.masdelatreille.com
http://www.drome-a-cheval.com/collines/index.htm

The LP340 displays both with a, yes, *strong* greenish tint.

How do you take "snapshots" - you just photograph the image on the screen?

Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by loup (edited 05-28-2001).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have just bought an Infocus LP340, my first venture into a projector. I need one mainly to show websites, so 800x600 is enough.

The projector works fine, except for yellows that are displayed with a *strong* greenish tint. Any deep yellow color in an image is displayed kind of olive greenish. No adjusting of the projector corrects this (there's not much adjusting available on the lp340!).

After hunting around deja.com, I found another message complaining of the same problem, and a response from an Infocus techie saying that this was normal for this projector, since they had to do something to produce so much light in such a small projector.

I *need* a projector that produces good colors, so this will really not do.

Do I just have a bad LP340? Or is this indeed a defect of this model? Is this bad color reproduction a common problem with video projectors? Or, on the contrary, do most video projectors produce perfect colors?

One person has told me that the trouble is due to the fact that the LP340 is a DLP projector, and that LCD projectors produce true-er colors.

On various websites, I have found lots of info about choosing a video projector in terms of resolution, and other "physical" factors, but nowhere have I seen quality of color mentioned as a variable in choosing a projector.

Any advice would be **greatly** appreciated.

Heeeeelp!!!

·
Registered
846 Posts
loup,

I take snapshots with a digital camera. And wow, you are right! The yellow is tinted a strong green.

I was able to diminish the effect somewhat by adjusting the color controls on my video card. I didn't spend much time trying to see if it was possible to get it right. Just wanted to see if it make any difference.

You can find the shots at: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...995&a=13077176

I forgot to try to move the tint control on the projector to see if it made a significant difference. I'll try that and post photos if it does tomorrow.

Based on the data so far, I can see why you would want to return the projector.

--Les

·
Registered
21 Posts
***Many*** thanks, Les!!

At least now I know that:

1. I'm not crazy

2. It's not my specific machine

Yes, those yellows are a definite green! and since I'll often be displaying large expanses of solid color (unlike HT), and since showing these sites accurately is very important to the idea of even *having* a projector, this is important to me!

I fiddled with the projector controls quite a bit myself, but it didn't help. I could get the yellows looking better, but always to the expense of the blues or reds. There's so little control on this projector, that I had to throw the entire color spectrum off to get to the yellows!

From what I have seen during my several-hour read-through of the forums, it would seem that an LCD projector would have far more accurate color rendition.

I will see if I can find the filters described in some posts to see if that helps the LP340, but I'm leaning strongly toward sending it back, and checking out a NEC VT440, which seems to be in about the same price range. From what I understand also, the NEC might be better at 1028x768 - the LP340 has real trouble rendering text at anything but its native resolution.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I couldn't resist. I had to check out one more thing. I wanted to check the s-video out from the pc and see if it had the same color problems.

It did, but to a much lesser extent. You can see the svideo picture at the same link above.

One thing is for sure, the infocus has a serious problem with green when using RGB. I've always wondered why flesh tones were not as red as NTSC/DVD when I was viewing HDTV. I just figured it was sent that way OTA. Based on these tests, my eyes have certainly been opened.

I will be doing some tests of other projectors in the coming weeks and I will use the same screenshots for comparison.

--Les

·
Registered
21 Posts
uh-oh, I don't even know what "s-video" *is*. But whatever it is, yes, it's still very green!

In your "further tests", any chance you'd be starting with the NEC VT440? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif - I really have to move on this purchase, now that I know that we *will* be able to get good color, as even the LP340 shows me how incredibly valuable this will be to me in my work!

Thanks again greatly!

Marc

[This message has been edited by loup (edited 05-29-2001).]

·
Registered
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arrow:
loup,

I take snapshots with a digital camera. And wow, you are right! The yellow is tinted a strong green.

I was able to diminish the effect somewhat by adjusting the color controls on my video card. I didn't spend much time trying to see if it was possible to get it right. Just wanted to see if it make any difference.

You can find the shots at: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...995&a=13077176

I forgot to try to move the tint control on the projector to see if it made a significant difference. I'll try that and post photos if it does tomorrow.

Based on the data so far, I can see why you would want to return the projector.

--Les
Les,

I remember at one time you had a filter too. Then when you got your Grayhawk, you said you removed the filter as you felt it was no longer needed. I in fact use the filter and believe it is needed regardless.

Do you still have the filter (FLD) and can you take some snapshots of the site with it in place?

Jay

·
Registered
846 Posts
Jay,

The conclusion I drew about the fld filter is it didn't help much in my environment when viewing via s-video. You can see the fld filter screenshots by searching for fld and my handle in the dlp forum.

I still have the fld and I'll post photos of the websites with the fld in place tomorrow or Friday.

--Les

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've updated the pics at the above link to reflect the application of a A046 FLD Cokin filter.

As with my previous fld tests, the filter had very little effect. I included a half/half shot with website2 so you can compare the effect side by side.

--Les

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks again, Les!

I have finally borrowed a set of Kodak test filters from a photographer friend of mine, and although the magenta filters help the yellows on some images,

1. On certain shades of yellow, they don't help at all - the yellows remain stubbornly olive green

2. On the images where the filters *do* help, other colors are hurt - greys of course have a light reddish tinge to them.

So this projector goes back!

I'm comparing LCD models, looking at NEC and Sony and Epson.

Marc

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any chance someone with a NEC VT440K could look at the websites we've been testing with, and check the yellows? http://www.masdelatreille.com
http://www.drome-a-cheval.com/collines/index.htm

Before I go ahead and send my lp340 in for an exchange (I just found out that the merchant I used has a 20% "restocking fee" - arg!!), I'd like to be sure that the LCD units *do* render RGB yellows well!

Thanks in advance!

[This message has been edited by loup (edited 06-02-2001).]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.