AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[My apologies if this forum isn't the correct one for this post - ap]

OK, the problem I'm trying to solve: I would like to watch video from my mac mini (running amazon instant video) through my Marantz player and onto my HDMI TV. I already know the connections work (I can watch other things with sound through my Marantz, like Blu Ray and Cable Box).

However, the Mac Mini doesn't output sound over the HDMI cable, it does it via it's audio output port (mini jack). The Marantz has HDMI in, it also has an Audio L/R channel input that says "assignable". I'd like to combine the L/R RCA input (for audio) and the HDMI input (for video), but I'm not sure how. I've Read The Fine Manual, although I remain a bit confused. I figured I'd try here on the chance anyone has ever done this or has enough experience with the Marantz AVR system to tell me which settings to twiddle.

If anyone has a better suggestion for streaming Amazon (and avoiding the Mac Mini altogether), I'm open to it. I have an Apple TV through which I've streamed Netflix and an Oppo Blu Ray 103, which I haven't down any streaming, but has played discs.

This has been a DIY project of mine, so no engineer to go wrangle and ask what to tweak. Thanks in advance.

Cheers - Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I'm going to answer my own post.

I found this thread on the Apple web site: discussions.apple.com/message/12297780#12297780 (sorry this isn't a link, but I'm too lowly ranked to post an URL)
TedBell (Oct 14, 2010 3:19 PM) posts: "I went to the sound utility in the "control panel." In there, I had to select my output as my home theater receiver and it worked perfectly. Need to do this under two separate tabs in the sound utility."

I just did this and made sure the RCA plugs (headphones) were no longer connected.

Worked like a charm. I can now enjoy all of those Oscar movies they're streaming from Amazon.

Cheers - Andy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts