AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'm trying to put together a brand new system, starting from scratch.

The sound-making machinery is going in my living room/dining room, which is approx. 15' x 30' x 8' (w x l x h), with the system at one end of the long side (it's basically two 15' x 15' rooms, but no wall in the middle).

I'm hoping to spend $1000 or less, and here's what I'm thinking:

Start with a receiver, sub and two bookshelf speakers. Then, add two outdoor speakers for patio (so the receiver should have A/B/A+B ability). Then (if possible), add the rest of the surround sound.

The $1,000 only needs to get the receiver sub & two bookshelf speakers.

The system will be mainly used for music. My wife & I were musicians years ago, and I'd like it too sound as nice as possible. We listen to jazz, blues, acoustic & classical. The most common use will be afternoon/evening music. The next most common use will be outdoor hangout/dining music (I live in San Diego, so we eat outdoors at least 9 or 10 months a year).

It'll also be hooked up to a TV & bluray player, but movies are the second priority. No video game system.

I appreciate any & all advice! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
For that type of music you should a) spend more on speakers
B) Listen to B&W, era, Dali, Energy RC-10, Boston Acoustic CS 26, and Revel.

Bring your own music and have fun listening!

Ron

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I would get a Onkyo TX-sr707, and a couple of full range Infinity Primus P362 towers, and worry about the subwoofer when you have more money to allocate to it. That would be a very nice start, and the Primus speakers have fairly good bass on their own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts