AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I currently have an Onkyo SR607 out of warranty, so if it craps out, I'm screwed.  I've recently been having crackling issues with my front right channel (swapped equipment around, it's not the wire or speaker) and no one in town services receivers not bought at their stores (or if they do it's way too expensive).  I use this Onkyo to power my 7.1 (Energy RC10s front L&R, Energy RC minis for center, surround L&R, and Energy CB5's in the back).  

Since not using my front right channel was driving me nuts, I went to the store to ask for help and the guy had a Pioneer Elite VSX-43 open box and post black friday sale marked down to $330 so I picked it up to hold onto while I tried to mess with my Onkyo (I have 2 weeks to return the Pioneer if I want, and didn't want to miss a good deal if I end up needing a new receiver).  So after a serious compressed air duster cleaning session, the Onkyo is hooked back up and I'm getting no crackling, everything "seems" fine (for now).  I'll continue to play it day in and out to see if the crackling returns but my question to you guys is this:  If you were me, what would you do if: The Onkyo continues to work fine-return the Pioneer so I don't take a $330 hit or try to sell the Onkyo and keep the Pioneer?

I love the Onkyo because I'm very satisfied with it's sound quality and the Audyssey mic I use (I don't have any experience with MCACC so I'm hesitant to want it).

I know Pioneer is known for better reliability (and I could get a 3 year plan for $60 from the store) which brings nice peace of mind, but is the sound quality and auto mic set up as good or better?

Lastly, my main concern is using the Pioneer is a drop in 10watts.  Onkyo is 90w per channel, Pio is 80w.  This concerns me because I already feel like I'm not giving my RC10s enough juice (175wRMS) so if my current Onkyo craps out, I considered looking at an SR705 (100w per channel) I could get my hands on--though from a friend, so it's used and has no warranty, but it's been playing great when I've heard it and he's takes great care of it.

Thoughts, opinions? Any and all help would be great!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
You can get the Pioneer on the internet brand new for $380. So you really didn't get a great deal when you got the open box deal. Chances are your Onkyo is going to die on you sooner then later since their product longevity seems to be short in the last few years. It didn't used to be that way. I'm fond of Onko products and own several. But I will not be buying another Onkyo when my 805 breaks. There is nothing wrong with the Pioneer AVR. MCACC is a little different then Odyssey but it's a good auto set up system. You will never notice the difference in 10watts between receivers. You need to double the wattage before you gain much and that's only at very loud volumes. I don't think you need that may watts for your speakers. If you're currently not running into clipping issues or distortion I would not worry about the wattage. What you decide to do with your receivers is up to you. If you don't need the money I would keep both of the receivers. The Onkyo is going to break at some time. It's nice to have back up gear when something like that happens.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I appreciate the rapid response.

If my Onkyo keeps up, I'd probably rather return the Pioneer since I'm a medical student and there's no abundance of income flowing in, unless the Pioneer would be noticeably better in which case I would keep it (then sell off the Onkyo).  If for the same price range as the Pioneer I could get a better receiver (I would probably look for an Onkyo SR705 since it has consistent good reviews and can be found for less $$$ since it's an older model) I would obviously rather do that. I guess my real question is what would be the better product to have, a working Onkyo SR607, the Pio VSX-43 or some other receiver? (If there actually would be any noticeable difference in sound quality and auto set up systems around these price points)  I would certainly love to have a Denon X4000 but that wouldn't be the wisest use of my money at the moment.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
If money is tight I would just keep the Onkyo and return the Pioneer. You won't get much for your Onkyo by selling it. You aren't going to gain much if anything by buying any of those receivers you mentioned except maybe the Denon. People often think that buying newer AVR's brings large benefits in sound. It often doesn't. The largest improvements come from fixing room problems, speaker and subwoofer placement, and proper system calibration. In many cases the AVR can't do the best calibration for you no matter how great the onboard calibration system is. You need to learn how to take the results that the receiver calibration gives you and learn how to possibly make adjustments to get the best results. Or learn how to manually calibrate if you have a difficult room and lots of audio gear trying to play well together.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My onky 60. Took a dump

Bought the same VSX 43.

After a bit of fussing I prefer the smooth sounds of it better than the onkyo.

Didn't think id say that, but the music sounds 100% better! surround for movies is very smooth and balanced.

Running htd center and rears and sub, older AE fronts,

Wait till the onkyo goes belly up and throw it in the trash. Sale price for mine was $300.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts