AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I own two SVS subs, a PB1000 and a SB2000. Right now I have the PB in my open family room figuring ported would do better there with the open space. Then I have the SB in my spare bedroom HT (13x22, pics below) figuring sealed could make due in the smaller and closed room. First, do my choices for which/where make sense?

If ok, or mostly ok, I'm feeling like the lows in the ht isn't the best. See pics below please. Specifically, when seated the bass seems to disappear quite a bit BUT if I stand up at the same spot it's stronger and pretty much perfect. I've tried all along that front stage wall and the corner (pictured) seems best but still not great. I will eventually do a sub crawl but if anyone has any recommendations for placement or otherwise, please fire away. Thanks!

Furniture Property Ceiling fan Picture frame Table

Furniture Property Table Building Black

Furniture Ceiling fan Chair Interior design Hall

Property Window Window blind Ceiling fan Couch

First, I own two SVS subs, a PB1000 and a SB2000. Right now I have the PB in my open family room figuring ported would do better there with the open space. Then I have SB in my spare bedroom HT (13x22) figuring sealed could make due in the smaller and closed room. Do my choices for which/where make sense?

If ok, or mostly ok, I'm feeling like the lows in the ht isn't the best. See pics below please. Specifically, when seated the bass seems to disappear quite a bit BUT if I stand up at the same spot it's stronger and pretty much perfect. I've tried all along that front stage wall and the corner (pictured) seems best but not great. I will eventually do a sub crawl but if anyone has any recommendations, fire away. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
You are correct that sealed is better for smaller sealed rooms, but room gain is determined by the room's longest dimension and 22 ft is really too long for sufficient room gain for a single smaller sealed sub.

Did you do a sub crawl? Worth a shot if you didn't.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Did you do a sub crawl? Worth a shot if you didn't.
Not yet but yes, I plan to. Thanks.

I had this SB2000 in my family room for a while and it did fine - or at least I thought it did. So do I sell the one SB2000 for 2 X 10"?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Don't give up just yet - if you were happy with the SB in a larger space, you might like it here too.

REW room sim shows a better result in the other front corner, but I could not replicate your observation when standing so your room might not follow the REW model exactly. In addition to standing you could also try moving the seat forward or back a little to see if it helps.

I would do the crawl, the sub is small enough to make it easy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't give up just yet - if you were happy with the SB in a larger space, you might like it here too.

REW room sim shows a better result in the other front corner, but I could not replicate your observation when standing so your room might not follow the REW model exactly. In addition to standing you could also try moving the seat forward or back a little to see if it helps.

👍

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just did the crawl and just about every spot along the front wall and corners is the same. I have it in the left corner and it's less than avg seated but gets amazingly better if I stand up, same as before. If I felt like holding the sub at ear level my wife could probably prove it using my phone app meter 😆.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's annoying! Does it get any better if you move the seat back a little?
Nope. I don't have a lot of room to adjust but forward or back 1' didn't make any difference.

·
Registered
344 Posts
First, I own two SVS subs, a PB1000 and a SB2000. Right now I have the PB in my open family room figuring ported would do better there with the open space. Then I have the SB in my spare bedroom HT (13x22, pics below) figuring sealed could make due in the smaller and closed room. First, do my choices for which/where make sense?

If ok, or mostly ok, I'm feeling like the lows in the ht isn't the best. See pics below please. Specifically, when seated the bass seems to disappear quite a bit BUT if I stand up at the same spot it's stronger and pretty much perfect. I've tried all along that front stage wall and the corner (pictured) seems best but still not great. I will eventually do a sub crawl but if anyone has any recommendations for placement or otherwise, please fire away. Thanks!

View attachment 3219378
View attachment 3219380
View attachment 3219379
View attachment 3219381
First, I own two SVS subs, a PB1000 and a SB2000. Right now I have the PB in my open family room figuring ported would do better there with the open space. Then I have SB in my spare bedroom HT (13x22) figuring sealed could make due in the smaller and closed room. Do my choices for which/where make sense?

If ok, or mostly ok, I'm feeling like the lows in the ht isn't the best. See pics below please. Specifically, when seated the bass seems to disappear quite a bit BUT if I stand up at the same spot it's stronger and pretty much perfect. I've tried all along that front stage wall and the corner (pictured) seems best but not great. I will eventually do a sub crawl but if anyone has any recommendations, fire away. Thanks!
I have found sometime that the side wall, just forward of the speakers has worked well ( maybe around where the outlet is on the left wall). If bass is stronger standing up, you may want to move the chairs further back in the room, but not up against the wall; maybe try that before you move the sub.

I did a modified sub crawl when I setup my 590's ( I did not have REW at the time). I used test tones rather than bass heavy music and crawled with my Radio Shack SPL meter; between the meter and my ears, I found two good spots. I logged the readings at each frequency and then plotted it to see how flat the response was in each location. In my room the best spots were just inside the right speaker against the back wall, and just forward of the plane of the speakers up against the right wall. after turning on the mains; the position between the speakers next to the right speaker gave the best blend. Just have some patience and enjoy the process.

Another factor for you is that your room is pretty live with the carpet being the only absorber in the room besides the chairs; that can sometime make the bass balance sound off because the power response in the room keeps a lot more high frequency energy in the room.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
You could try side or back wall locations even if the cable precludes those, and if any are good you could go wireless.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I checked the entire perimeter of the room and no place was better than another, the front wall, into the corners, and up that left wall were the best but all pretty equally bad.

I used the method where I put the sub at seated ear level in between the two chairs then used a meter app on my phone phone to take readings around the entire perimeter of the room.

I think I'll ask my wife to listen and see if she's hearing the same sitting/standing to eliminate me and my hearing as a possibility.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I checked the entire perimeter of the room and no place was better than another, the front wall, into the corners, and up that left wall were the best but all pretty equally bad.

I used the method where I put the sub at seated ear level in between the two chairs then used a meter app on my phone phone to take readings around the entire perimeter of the room.

I think I'll ask my wife to listen and see if she's hearing the same sitting/standing to eliminate me and my hearing as a possibility.
What aspect of the sound is bad even in the best positions? Lack of bass?, boomy bass? Uneven bass? Lack of definition?

You may want to try a nearfield setup; between the seats like an end table or centered immediately behind the seats. That can be a solution for difficult rooms; change the distance in the AVR to1 ft.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Another option would be to do a 20-100hz sweep using a test tone generator like this one to evaluate placement choices instead of the test tone.
Online Tone Generator - generate pure tones of any frequency (szynalski.com)

The test tone contains frequencies above the crossover point which are less important and may account for the improvement noted when standing. At a minimum you'll have a better idea of where bass might be lacking.

·
Registered
12,342 Posts
Put the sub on a chair, temporarily, in it's current position. Does the seated sound improve?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What aspect of the sound is bad even in the best positions? Lack of bass?, boomy bass? Uneven bass? Lack of definition?

You may want to try a nearfield setup; between the seats like an end table or centered immediately behind the seats. That can be a solution for difficult rooms; change the distance in the AVR to1 ft.
Lack of bass but only when seated in either chair. Stand up and it's much better. That said, I played around w level/volume and have it sounding better. The room is still pretty "reflective" w a lot of hard surfaces. I'm planning to do some treatments soon enough.

I'm feeling like two 8" might be better in the long run so I'm gonna watch for something on sale.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Definitely a standing wave issue. And you're onto the right concept - moving the subwoofer up/down will indeed shift the floor/ceiling standing wave relative to the listening position at head level.

This is the same reason why the bass changes so much when you stand-up - your head is moving into a standing wave peak (or at least out of a null).

While it might look bizarre - I would at least try elevating the subwoofer as a proof of concept and you'll notice the bass getting stronger from a seated position.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I would recommend getting at least 2 subs in each corner (or further away from corners with experimentation) to get the best response. 4 if you really can afford it. It's not about dynamics and loudness, it's more about linearizing the response.

If going higher in number of subs isn't a possibility, I would try playing around with the position of that one sub all over the room. It might be that it will work better in between the main speakers, as the wave will sum better with the LCRs and you'll get less phase issues around the crossover, as well as it might give you more near field punch being closer to your listening position.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts