AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had this TV for about a year now. Finally getting around to calibrating it. Attached are the original settings. And post-greyscale calibration files (in a zip) for HCFR.

I can't seem to figure out how to get my red to be red. As you can see in the CIE diagram, my red is weak...nowhere near the proper setting. I'm "happy" with my greyscale (I might go back and tweak it a bit more when I figure out how to get the color right).

Anyway. The Sharp user menu does have a 6 CMS hue/saturation adjustment.

Nothing gets me to the proper colors though. The red seems to kill everything else, its so dull.

Settings are:

OPC Off

Backlight STD

Contract +28

Brightness ~0

Color -15

Tint -18 (was what I had to do to get they cyan closest to what it was supposed to be using CIE)

Active Contract OFF

Temperature LOW (adjusted via Service Menu- see attached)

Anyone have any tips on how to get my red up to what its supposed to be?

tia

Sharp LC46SB54U HCFR.zip 5.126953125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Your grayscale looks great, but your gamma and primaries/secondaries are way off. I'm not familiar with your set, but it seems that having the color and tint controls so far down is your problem. Having Brightness at zero seems strange to me too. Does contrast go to 50 or 100? Either way it seems low too. But you are getting a good amount of light, about 44 ft/L.

Are you using 75% or 100% patterns for the color measurements? That could be the problem. Your white measurement with the primaries/secondaries is 100%.

Mark

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

you cannot magically add colors to the tv if they are not there to begin with. You can't make the color triangle bigger than it is. Unless you figured out alchemy ... then go make gold ... rather than mucking with the tv.

regards

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought there might be a setting in the service menu to help get the CIE triangle better. There has to be soemthing??

Um. Yeah, I hooked up the meter again and ran thru the colors ab it more. Now the settings are

opc off

backlight std

contrast 31

brightness -1

color -6

tint 0

my new diagram ...i dunno... Cyan is the only color that gets spot on. Red is better, but not near what it should be. Blue is a bit higher. green is lower, but not as bad as red. with that yellow is lower. magenta is a bit low as well.

by low i mean, closer to the d6500k area.

If what you say is true, theres nothing i can do on the set itself(even in service menu?) to make my cie triangle better... is my main viewing is on an HTPC. So, Im assuming, I can play with some settingts in the ATI Catalyst software to get me closer to the right triangle, yes? I only use 2 inputs, both HDMI. One is my HTPC (i watch TV, videos, blurays) and my Xbox360 on the other. I dont mind if my 360 is off....but id really like my blurays to be spot on.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

So you have figured out how to turn lead into gold from your computer?

The TV is the bottle neck ... weak link. Sending more in does not increase the size of the bottle neck. The BD already does that.

Only re-engineering the tv will fix that.

Add to it ... you are using a probe that likely is not designed to do cms right anyway ... hence the readings here might not be trusted.

regards

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydgmms /forum/post/17007145

I thought there might be a setting in the service menu to help get the CIE triangle better. There has to be soemthing??

The something you can do would be physically modifying the display in some way. The primary chromaticities of a display are physically inherent to the display, you can only make the triangle smaller with a color management system, you can never make it larger than the native primaries of the display. To make it larger you would have to physically modify or re-engineer the display in some fashion. Or you buy a better display.

Trying to improve your color gamut to get it larger will never work, and if you don't accept this simple fact, you're likely to make changes that will just make other attributes of your image worse, and it will never have the effect you are looking for in terms of enlarging your color gamut. That really is a physical limitation, nothing in software can ever fix that.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydgmms /forum/post/17008829

drat, foiled again!

Alright then, do you think its worth calibrating further than those latest results?

Again, not with regards to color gamut. Didn't look at the whole zip file, so don't know what the rest of the calibration looks like.

But with regards to color gamut there isn't any further you can go, because there isn't any distance you came in the first place. It's like asking if you should put more air in your tire that blew out on the freeway and is now scattered across the median. It's just not possible to do anything about it, it's a nonsensical question. There isn't any tire to put air in. There is no CMS to adjust here, and even if there were, it can't address the problem which is too small a color gamut. You've got the gamut you've got, enjoy the pictures you have!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts