AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi--

I've been shopping for a system (receiver + two speakers) to replace my B&W DM601's (series 1) that met an untimely death...

It's for my living room (About a 12'x15' space, hard wood floors.) I think I want bookshelf speakers for the size, but I'd be open to floor standing if they are in my price range and sound a lot better.

I'll be using mostly CD's, radio, and iPod, as well as watching BluRay's and DVD's.

I've been looking at the Rotel RX-1052 receiver and B&W 685's speakers. Someone has also mentioned Mordaunt-Short bookshelf speakers that I plan on checking out.

Does anyone have any suggestions? (Preferably in the $1000-1500 range.)

Thanks for your help!

Tim

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The Mordaunt Short Avant series is very bright but with a smooth midrange. Good for HT and rock. The Mezzo is the complete opposite and sound similar to B&W. You'd probably want to go with the Mezzo should you go for MS. I didn't like the character at all though, but I didn't like B&W that much either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it was the Avants, I haven't heard them yet.

Will be using the system mostly for eclectic/electronic/rock.

Why don't you like either of these? And what should I be looking at instead?

Thanks!

Tim

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
 These Dali Ikons got a great write up in stereo review. They should sell for $1200 or so. You should be able to find many amps to drive them. I would lean towards stand mounts in your price range.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
you could probably get a lot more for your money in that price range if you shop audiogon. esp in this economy. the rotel would be great, as would cambridge, nad, the harman kardon is a steal too (stereo--3490 model). audioasvisor does have great clearance and refurb sales too. second the dali option or anything in the bw 7 series.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts