1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current situation in my house is:

- older analog tv

- Digital Stream DTX9950 converter box

- Unknown antenna currently placed in the rafters of the garage. Each of the two "arms" is about 48" long overall.

- One splitter in the line allowing me to feed the tv and receiver (fm).

The antenna seems to be working pretty good actually. The signal seems to be pretty good but I want really good. Maybe 10% of the time, I get the glitchy digital pixely looking signal for a few seconds. Sometimes the audio is lost for a few seconds as well.

Questions:

- What kind of antenna is this? Doesn't look like anything current.

- Is it's technology current enough to keep or will something new work better?

- If I keep it, how do I aim this type? It has two aimable loops.

- Should I replace it with a newer directional? I'm about 11 miles from the stations which are at 72deg, 80deg, and 82deg.

- Should I add an amplifier near the antenna? How do you decide when this is a good thing to do?

Any antenna I have will be located in the garage rafters. As long as it fits and I can aim it, I really don't care much about size.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Looks like a FM omni that someone twisted one of the elements.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=CM3026

What you need to do is go to

http://tvfool.com

Put in your address

when the chart comes up, click on the button Post Transition Digital

Then tell us out of the list, which stations you are trying by call sign preferred.

There is almost certainly a better antenna considering you are using an FM antenna I am pretty sure.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie /forum/post/15554099

Looks like a FM omni that someone twisted one of the elements.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=CM3026

What you need to do is go to

http://tvfool.com

Put in your address

when the chart comes up, click on the button Post Transition Digital

Then tell us out of the list, which stations you are trying by call sign preferred.

There is almost certainly a better antenna considering you are using an FM antenna I am pretty sure.

1+, I looked at the link, and was thinking, wow that looks like an onmi FM, that is unreal, that it works great at for any UHF stations, maybe at VHF there is not huge loss, but even still, a 4 bay bow tie antenna would good in that setting...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
FWIW, my roof-top antenna looks just like it and my 2 loops are at right angle to each other. I got UHF HD signals pretty well except (real) channels below 10 and 52 above.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
We need his TVFool results. Any piece of wire will act as an antenna in a strong enough RF field.

Glad those antenna work for you guys.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I attaching the results from TVfool as a jpeg since I can't post with a link yet.

All of the green channels are the ones I want to view. I am concerned about getting channel 8 (10.1) as it is a vhf channel. I watch that a lot too.

It seems to make sense that replacing my antenna would be a good choice. It does great for FM so maybe I'll keep it for that. I'm guessing it was original to the house and that would be somewhere around 1958.

Any suggestions on a new one for TV? I was looking at Winegard, Channel Master, Terrestrial Digital. Haven't dialed in on one yet.

What is it that you look for with my results? How do you decipher them to decide on an antenna?

·
Banned
1,575 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeand13 /forum/post/15556686

Any comments on the Terrestrial Digital 42XG or 43XG ?

Those are UHF only antennas.

This antenna would do it all.

Winegard HD 7694P
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=HD7694P

$71 shipped.

Considering your signals are -20 to -30 dbm (very strong) but you want to mount in an attic.

Take the worse case of -30 dbm, add the antenna gain (give worse case across the board of 9dbd, that gives you -21dbm. Then being in the attic is hard to guess but it's 10 to 15 negative db. So worst case of -15 db, added to -21 is -36 dbm at the antenna.

That is too strong for a preamp, so you save money there.

This antenna is not that good at FM, but if it's a strong station that may still work. So lets say you go through 50 to 70 ft of cable and a spliter. That would leave at least -50dbm at the TV. That is plenty to view a stable picture and should stop drop outs.

Now will this antenna fit in your attic?

65 inches long and 35 wide and has to point at 77 degrees magnetic. depends on your rafters.

There are smaller antenna, they aren't as good and cost more.

If this were on a pole outside on the east side of your house just above the eave it would split into 4 TV's without an amp.

If that won't fit, there are other solutions that would probably work. Let us know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie /forum/post/15557967

Those are UHF only antennas.

This antenna would do it all.

Winegard HD 7694P
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...p?PROD=HD7694P

$71 shipped.

Considering your signals are -20 to -30 dbm (very strong) but you want to mount in an attic.

Take the worse case of -30 dbm, add the antenna gain (give worse case across the board of 9dbd, that gives you -21dbm. Then being in the attic is hard to guess but it's 10 to 15 negative db. So worst case of -15 db, added to -21 is -36 dbm at the antenna.

That is too strong for a preamp, so you save money there.

This antenna is not that good at FM, but if it's a strong station that may still work. So lets say you go through 50 to 70 ft of cable and a spliter. That would leave at least -50dbm at the TV. That is plenty to view a stable picture and should stop drop outs.

Now will this antenna fit in your attic?

65 inches long and 35 wide and has to point at 77 degrees magnetic. depends on your rafters.

There are smaller antenna, they aren't as good and cost more.

If this were on a pole outside on the east side of your house just above the eave it would split into 4 TV's without an amp.

If that won't fit, there are other solutions that would probably work. Let us know.

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion on the HD7694P. I'll call around tomorrow to see if anyone has it locally before ordering. Looks perfect for what I want to do.

TVfool is a great site that explains things even a newbie can understand.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Good thought Pixelation! Ch 8 is the only high vhf station and it's a second PBS station. Perhaps there's different programming between the two? My local PBS has 4 sub channels but much is repeated on three of the four sub-channels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation /forum/post/15558986

Why not an Antenna Direct DB2 or DB4? It should pick up UHF very well and fits in attic.

Wouldn't a directional antenna be more appropriate since all of the channels I want to receive are coming from a pretty similar location?

Not knowing a lot about antennas, I thought it would be best to get a directional if possible. The chart makes that look possible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick /forum/post/15559263

Good thought Pixelation! Ch 8 is the only high vhf station and it's a second PBS station. Perhaps there's different programming between the two? My local PBS has 4 sub channels but much is repeated on three of the four sub-channels.

Must have Ch 8. We have 4 pbs stations (actually 7 or 8 if you count traffic and music), and while there are a few shows repeated, they typically have different content.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
There is also Clearstream1/Clearstream2/Clearstream4. They claim it works modestly well with VHF-Hi (7-13). Will fit in your attic.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelation /forum/post/15562077

There is also Clearstream1/Clearstream2/Clearstream4. They claim it works modestly well with VHF-Hi (7-13). Will fit in your attic.

From my experince the Clearstream antennas only work well with a very strong signal on VHF-HI. I doubt you would have luck with that channel 8. If you want to get by on the cheap, the antenna that Tower Guy recommended looks like a good bet for $11.99, plus shipping

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules /forum/post/15562896

From my experince the Clearstream antennas only work well with a very strong signal on VHF-HI. I doubt you would have luck with that channel 8. If you want to get by on the cheap, the antenna that Tower Guy recommended looks like a good bet for $11.99, plus shipping

That, or just build a 4 bay bow tie antenna, that would be quick and easy and you should get all the channels in green without issue.... (the 4 bay would be good enough for channel 8, with signal levels that strong IMO)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm planning on going with the Winegard HD7694P in the attic.

Question about mounting: Does the mast slide through the antenna and clamp on at a position or does the antenna have to sit right on top of the mast?

I'm thinking about getting two Channel Master CM3078 universal clamps and mounting the mast with them. One on the rafter right at the top, mast vertically positioned going down to the horizontal beam of the truss. That won't work though if the antenna can't slide up and down on the mast.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeand13 /forum/post/15577224

I'm planning on going with the Winegard HD7694P in the attic.

Question about mounting: Does the mast slide through the antenna and clamp on at a position or does the antenna have to sit right on top of the mast?

I'm thinking about getting two Channel Master CM3078 universal clamps and mounting the mast with them. One on the rafter right at the top, mast vertically positioned going down to the horizontal beam of the truss. That won't work though if the antenna can't slide up and down on the mast.

That should work fine, if you can, use a wood doll instead of a metal pole, since it is indoors, will cut down on loss to the pole!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
PVC tube is easy to get. That should be stiff enough I think. Might give that a try.

I still would like to know if the mast will slide through the middle of the antenna so I can do some planning before it arrives.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts