AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,


First off I'd like to say that I'm -very-, -very- new to all this audio stuff. I'm currently setting up an HTPC for my new house and of course I'd like a decent audio setup to go with it. The room is about 4,5 meters in width and 11 meters long. The television and speakers would be positioned on one of the short walls.


Since I'm not too keen on having to run cables throughout the house, I'd prefer a 2.1 setup.


I have around 3000$ to spend on speakers/receiver (must have 3x hdmi) /cabling/... and I want the best possible all-round system for something around (or lower than) that price point. I'm looking for floorstanding models.

As said, a very good all-round sound is what I'm looking for, I'm listening to just about any genre of music, watch loads of movies, and so on.


Any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


Cheers,

K!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
What kind of speakers were you thinking about? (floorstanding vs. bookshelf). I would love floorstanders in my living room area, but the wife refuses. I have a 3.1 setup based on small Cambridge Soundworks bookshelves that is great for movies, but awful for music. I have another 2.0 setup in my office with a pair of PSB Image B25's. I don't miss the center channel all that much on the 2.0 setup, but I do sit directly in front of the speakers in a position that I actually measured out as being the optimal listening location. If your room arrangement has seating that's at an odd angle to the television then a center channel is a good investment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for floorstanding speakers, don't know why really, but they sure look a lot better ;-)

Because we have an L-shaped sofa, pretty much every position you'd be sitting comfortably would be less than ideal actually, but I guess that's something a lot of people have to live with. 3.1 is suggested then?


I'm about to order an Onkyo TX-SR607 for my setup, from the reviews I read here and elsewhere it should be good bang for the buck. How does the configuration of a 3.1 setup work with receivers, is it a preset you can select? I went through the manual of the receiver and specifications found on the net, but can't find a definitive answer anywhere.


Regards,

K
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdaemon /forum/post/16949772


Hi,

I'm looking for floorstanding speakers, don't know why really, but they sure look a lot better ;-)

Because we have an L-shaped sofa, pretty much every position you'd be sitting comfortably would be less than ideal actually, but I guess that's something a lot of people have to live with. 3.1 is suggested then?


I'm about to order an Onkyo TX-SR607 for my setup, from the reviews I read here and elsewhere it should be good bang for the buck. How does the configuration of a 3.1 setup work with receivers, is it a preset you can select? I went through the manual of the receiver and specifications found on the net, but can't find a definitive answer anywhere.


Regards,

K

Since you're getting a subwoofer you'll get better sound quality by using smaller main speakers of higher quality. You don't need floor standing speakers since the subwoofer will handle all of the bass. Bass under 80hz or so is omnidirectional, so there's (with one exception) no downside to having it mixed into one channel and come from a single location.


The exception is if you're using a turntable that is prone to feedback. Then, a subwoofer can output low enough frequencies to feedback through the turntable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White /forum/post/16949934


Since you're getting a subwoofer you'll get better sound quality by using smaller main speakers of higher quality. You don't need floor standing speakers since the subwoofer will handle all of the bass. Bass under 80hz or so is omnidirectional, so there's (with one exception) no downside to having it mixed into one channel and come from a single location.


The exception is if you're using a turntable that is prone to feedback. Then, a subwoofer can output low enough frequencies to feedback through the turntable.

Hey,


If that'd be the case, I'd maybe go with a 5.1 surround system right from the start. The main issue with a surround system in our future living room would be that one of the rear satellites would be more than 2 meters further away from the listener to make it somewhat aesthetically pleasing. To give you a better idea:

This is the floor plan (hope link works)


If you rotate the PDF 90 degrees CCW, the left drawing displays the ground floor. The TV would be on the bottom wall of the living room. As you can see I might be able to put a sattelite in between the 2 big windows on the left, and one in the small wall corner adjacent to the kitchen on the right. I doubt lining up the satellites would be good looking.


Having seen all this private info ;-) please take the time to do some recommendations, I could really use some input.


Ciao!

Koen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White /forum/post/16949934


Since you're getting a subwoofer you'll get better sound quality by using smaller main speakers of higher quality. You don't need floor standing speakers since the subwoofer will handle all of the bass. Bass under 80hz or so is omnidirectional, so there's (with one exception) no downside to having it mixed into one channel and come from a single location.


The exception is if you're using a turntable that is prone to feedback. Then, a subwoofer can output low enough frequencies to feedback through the turntable.

I would agree with this. There are some tremendous sounding bookshelves from companies like Paradigm, ERA, or PSB. With your budget you can put together a fantastic 3.1 setup and get a receiver that will handle up to 7.1. Then you can add more speakers down the road if you feel like it's worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMartigan69 /forum/post/16950194


I would agree with this. There are some tremendous sounding bookshelves from companies like Paradigm, ERA, or PSB. With your budget you can put together a fantastic 3.1 setup and get a receiver that will handle up to 7.1. Then you can add more speakers down the road if you feel like it's worth it.

Having seen the 3 brands mentioned a lot here on the forums, I looked those up, but here in Europe (Belgium) I can only seem to get my hands on Paradigm. Did you have any particular models in mind?


Best regards,

Koen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I auditioned a pair of Studio 20's and was really impressed by the sound they produced. However, that does bring up the point that no matter what advice you get on this forum you should go audition these speakers yourself. What sounds fantastic to me might be complete garbage for you. I researched speakers for months on this forum, but in the end my decision was made after just a few hours of driving around the city and auditioning the brands I was most interested in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem is that there aren't any Paradigm dealers nearby (perhaps even in my country). I'd actually order them from the Netherlands because you can find most brands at fair prices there.


Paradigm is something -very- rare around here apparently. I searched around some more yesterday and the only models I found for sale were the "Monitor" series. That's their low-end product range I presume?

Personally, I would also feel more comfortable if I could hear a set of these before buying. Would you take your chances or start looking out for something else (aka more generally available).


Thx.


Koen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
That's a tough call. I think it might be worth it to look around and see what speakers you do have available to physically audition before you take the plunge on the Paradigm's. If you don't have a lot of other choices than you could do a lot worse than the Studio 20's. I wish that's what I had right now, but my budget was pretty limited.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found a dealer that has a pair of Paradigm Studio 60's (the floorstanders) in Amsterdam. Now, that's about a 4 hours drive but I might consider it anyways. I also like the appearance of the floorstanders better than their smaller counterparts.


Given my room, would you put the 20's or the 60's (if money was not an issue)?


Regards,

Koen
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top