AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what I can do to watch .avi files through the 360. I have two episodes of 24 that are the HD files that are in .AVI 16:9 on my computer. I tried using the MC connection and said it is not a recognized codec. I also tried just going to videos -> my computer -> but the obviously I do not see the .avi files.

I used this program Videora that states that it will convert to a windows file but when I do the 16:9 conversion it turns out to be a .mpg file. Again the 360 does not see it and when using the MC connection it sees it but plays back in 4:3 mode and cannot get it to 16:9.

Are there any other programs that can take a HD .avi file and convert it to an HD .wmv file. So that I can watch it in 16:9 mode. Thank you.

Is there a way to burn it to a DVD?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have been using Encode360 for converting HD AVI files. It will even keep the AC3 (Dolby Digital) sound if it has it. It also will convert other types of files also (example: Dvix). I tried to post a link, but I don't have enough posts yet. Google Encode360 2.0b5a.

As for burning to DVD, I do know that the 360 is able to read data disks with WMV's on it.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
I use Transcode 360 to stream AVI files over. I haven't had a problem yet with any TV shows, but have only been using it for about a week and a half, and I'm not sure if what I was watching was HD avi or not (I'm not overly technical about that kindof stuff).

You would basically install that, then on the XBOX, go to MCE, highlight your video and click on "info" (or right-click) then "more..." then choose "Transcode"

Seems to work for me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I use Transcode360 as well. It transcodes the Divx/AVI files on the fly so you don't have to do any conversion on the PC side. All my DVD resolution Divx movies work great, but anything HD won't transcode fast enough.

Works great. I use my 360 as a Media Extender more than a gaming system.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I use win/avi converter. It is really easy, but the computer has to convert the file before you stream it to the xbox. If you don't have Windows Media Center or a fast computer to convert on the fly; I would use this program. It works everytime and it does avi, divx, vob, mkv and probably more, but those are the ones I use mostly. The aspect ratio will stay the same and the conversion has great quality.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Oh my gosh-- I was using Encoder360 to convert divx and Xvid files to .wmv, and I was struggling with it because it's so slow and crashes all the time for me. I had no idea that my windows install already had something to do the job-- Windows Movie Maker. I just tried it and it worked like a charm.

(By the way, I never got TVersity to work for me-- the 360 just never would recognize it. I tried all the troubleshooting on the site too-- firewall exceptions, ordering the TCP/IP connections, etc.)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Transcode 360 will do the trick for you. It's what i use. Never had a problem with it. Then you just press more on the info tab on the movie file and press 'transcode' pretty easy, and can all be done from the xbox console.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't have Windows Media Center Edition-- I just run XP SP2. Doesn't Transcode 360 require MCE? That's why I originally used ENcode360-- it doesn't require MCE. Problem is, it crashes on me all the time.

I've used Windows Movie Maker a couple of times now-- works pretty well. I wish I could control the output res like in Encode360-- it makes a difference in the quality on my set when I encode to my TV's native res.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is Transcode 360 just for Windows Media Center Edition or does it work for XP as well?

I just got TVersity working over the weekend and am very stoked to not have to convert xvid or divx shows anymore. I haven't tried with HD stuff yet but most of what I Download is not a high bitrate anyways. The snags that I hit had to do with windows firewall and ports, but also since I already had WMP 11 sharing my files I had to stop it from doing so by going into the sharing options. Then when my 360 failed to find the previous connection nd searched for computers on the network, it found the TVersity server

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.