Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

The weirdest thing happened today...

First I run my G15 at 1365x768. I put in a DVD today and while it showed the intro 4:3 aspect ratio stuff fine. The stuff that is supposed to be 16:9 is way to small like the picture is not being scaled to fit the resolution. Its width seems to be the same as the pillar boxed 4:3 stuff.

So I thought it was just my PowerDVD but it isn't my WinDVD is doing it too. The only way I can get the 16:9 stuff to display correctly is to change the resolution to 1365x1024. Then it scales properly.

I looked at all of the settings in the DVD player software and my PowerStrip 3, but I can't see any settings that might affect the overlay which is what I am suspicious of.

Any suggestions??

Thx,

Cameron

btw I am using a GeForce card if that helps.

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey I just noticed something weird. I put in Toy Story II and it scaled correctly. The two DVDs that weren't working properly were Little Mermaid and Pillow Talk. These two aren't anamorphic transfers so maybe that has something to do with it.

Any suggestions??

Thx,

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
547 Posts
cameron,

I had the exact same problem and posted some help thread at the computer forum a coulple of days ago and got no response at all. but finally I figure it out what the problem was.

before you start windvd player make sure that you open up your yxy software first and select anamorphic and windvd as your player. once this is selected, windvd will autoplay with the correct aspect ratio. let me know if this solve your problem.

cheers to dila!

seng http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yeah kinda simple....

You are playing a 4:3 letterbox title... The projector has no way of knowing that much of the 4:3 image is just black bars so it is pillarboxing the 4:3 image inside your 16:9 custom rez...

Net result is that for 4:3 you are pillarboxing and letterboxing...

YxY will solve this issue (with some config) and PowerDVD3 can also do some Pan and scan functions to assist with a letterbox 4:3 title and 16:9 screen.. My recommendation is heavily to YxY...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!!!

Gosh I guess these are the first DVDs like this that I have tried. I guess that I should go back and try out a dvd that I didn't think was anamorphic the used the resolution correctly.

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I just tried out my 9 to 5 DVD which I thought would be the same as pillow talk and Little mermaid, but it played properly.

I guess I will dig up YXY and see if it can help me out.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mark!

I tried it with the Little Mermaid and WinDVD and it wouldn't get it right. PowerDVD doesn't even let me do it. I will try some more. I also have another disc that I should try too.

Cameron

------------------

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
YXY will fix this, but if you only have a couple of non-anamorphic disks, here is another trick:

When the movie starts playing, grab your mouse and point at the upper-left hand corner of the image. Click and drag to the lower-right corner and release.

The software DVD player will immediately "zoom" the image so that the area you selected becomes the entire screen area. Not idea to do a lot, but for only one or two movies here and there, it works great.

This little trick is for either WinDVD or PowerDVD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.