AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I e-mailed Sony tech support and I'm concerned I got some outsourced guy on the other side of the planet. I try to take good care of my stuff and know the potential damage incurred from exposing the screen to sunlight, and I wanted to make sure that the UV radiation was the only concern.

I've been kinda paranoid since moving it from one apartment to another and, man, I'm not gonna lie, neurotic about there being scratches on the actual display from the move. Hence, I've been checking over it with a flash light for scratches and cleaning the thing (it's a KDL52W4100, fwiw). In order to hopefully allay my concerns I sent the following e-mail to Sony's "E-Support" unit:

Quote:
Strange question, but would shining a flash light on my televisions screen for extended periods of time potentially damage the LCD? Im thinking of the damage caused by exposure to direct sunlight - does the same concern apply with traditional lighting ala flash lights?

And I get this answer:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm glad to provide you the information regarding the Sony TV. It is recommended that the screen of the Sony TV should not be directly exposed to sunlight or flash light.

Thank you for your time.

The Sony Email Response Team

C6EL

Jason

Are they just crazy?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Responded to their e-mail and they gave me this response:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I'm glad to provide you the information. The pixel on your Sony TV may get damaged if any light source is directly falling on it. The picture on the TV will not be clearly visible if a light source is falling on the screen.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
In all fairness to the Sony CS. Who spends extended time periods shining flashlights into their tv screens? Sun, sure and they responded extended periods of direct sunlight might be harmful, but a flashlight, come on.

Your tv is fine, if it got a scratch in moving, live with it, stop with the flashlight and keep moving thru your life!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosepass2 /forum/post/16955885

Nah he can't be from the other side of the planet unless otherwise. Cmon' his name is Jason, not Achmed.

If the CS person's real last name has more than 15 letters in it, I'm suspicious.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosepass2 /forum/post/16955885

Nah he can't be from the other side of the planet unless otherwise. Cmon' his name is Jason, not Achmed.

Where u been. Indian call centers are given Anglo names and even trained with American accents. U only find out when u ask him questions that only *real* Yanks would know.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
to the OP --

you asked an odd question of sony and they gave you a direct answer -- don't do it.

not so weird. unusual, perhaps.

but maybe they could have been more explanatory:

flashlighting can be a problem with LCDs. to help avoid this not uncommon occurance, please do not shine a flashlight on the screen of any LCD. flashlighting the LCD screen will result in flashlighting, of course.

this also applies to sunlighting caused by sunlight.

moonlighting is usually not a problem. however, mooning is.

·
Registered
188 Posts
In my experience, Sony tech support is completely useless.

I emailed them about a problem with my PS3 earlier this week. The response completely ignored the detailed problem description I gave and pointed me to a web page that was only superficially related to my particular problem.

What ticked me off was that they went ahead and closed the ticket. Other places I've dealt with allowed your feedback on whether or not the problem was really fixed.

Btw, "I'm glad to provide you the information..." is the tip-off that you're talking to someone from India (assuming the accent wasn't enough). They've gotten better over the years, but I still have to be extremely patient and walk them through the problem step-by-step. Sometimes I just give up, say thank you, and hang up.

·
Registered
900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc /forum/post/16957554

LOL !

bye

Benny42

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc /forum/post/16957554

to the OP --

I don't want to start a technology war here, but I have found that mooning is much more of a problem with plasma sets than LCD. The reflective screen of a plasma can throw back a very scary image.

To be fair, I have not tested this with the current clear panel LCD sets. I tried at my local BB but was thrown out of the store before I could complete the test.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts