AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing my basement and require a DVI-D cable to run to my front projector (NEC HT1000).

I have many different opinions on what kind of cable to get and what kind of price to pay because I need it 25 feet long.

Bettercables.com sells one for $200US and I have seen others selling one for a lot more.

Several people have told me that I need a fiber optic cable because of the distance but that is just too much $$$ ($500US) for a cable that might be out of date in 2 years.

Any suggestions on where I can get one quickly either in Canada or the US???

Thanks

Bruno :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't mention how long your DVI-D cable was.

What is it connected to?

Where did you buy it?

I am going to connect my NEC HT1000 to the Samsung DVD-931 when it comes out in June and I want to install the wires now before the drywall goes up in my ceiling.

I am still very skeptic about going longer than 15 feet on DVI-D cable as so many people have warned me away from it.

So I take it you have absolutely no picture problems from it?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Why would an optical cable be out of date? It will last as long as the projector will. Don't forget HDMI is back-compatible with DVI. I have an 18-meter optical cable and it works great.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The $200 Bettercable 10m cable is fine for up to 1280x1024 at 60hz, but no higher. I'd personally ask specifically for their single link because of its thicker conductors.

The $435 fiber optic one is good even at 1600x1200 at 60hz. I haven't been able to get around testing 1920x1080 at 60hz yet (actually will be testing with 1400x1050 at 85hz, which requires just a tad bit more bandwidth, but very similar).

When you ask about cabling, be sure to ask what resolution and refresh rate it works at, not just that it works. "It works" may mean something different for some guy with an 800x600 at 60hz projector, than some guy who wants to plan a bit for the future.

I'd suggest you put thick conduit in your ceiling so you can pull new cable later. Actually, I'd HIGHLY suggest this. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have run about 200 feet of conduit throughout my entire basement ceiling so that I can have access to my window (directly below my satellite dishes) to my fuse panel, to my furnace room, to the projector and to the screen. (with strings in each pull of course!)

If I fish the DVI-D cable through the conduit I will need 40 feet though... so I'm trying to go direct right now to save distance, money and trouble.

Thanks for the recommendation and advice.

Bruno

·
Registered
132 Posts
gotapex:

you state that the better cables DVi for $200 is "fine" and the fiber optic is "good". Question is: is it worth the extra $200 to buy the fiber optic at 10m, assuming the refresh rate is 60HZ? Is there a difference in quality?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The BetterCables 9M (29.52') DVI cable is good up to an absolute maximum of 1280x1024 resolution at 60hz refresh, in my experience. If this is all you're planning to use it for, save your money, get one of these. At this resolution and refresh rate, the quality of the picture is just as high as your standard 5 foot cable (which is to say visually perfect).

If you plan to go with a higher bandwidth signal (either higher resolution, higher refresh, or both) at this length, you'll need to go with a fiber optic cable, in my experience.

However: I only tried with a Radeon 9700 Pro & GF3 sending the signal. The 9700 Pro and GF3 both have good DVI outputs. However, what you use may affect the max available resolution and or refresh. Perhaps, if you're using something with a built in dvi amp, you may be able to use the BetterCable 9M DVI cable at a higher rate.

·
Registered
200 Posts
gotapex:

The Bettercable web site lists their $200 DVI-D 9 meter cable as supporting 1920x1080. Why do you say it only supports [email protected]? That's not what they rate the cable for. Just curious, 'cause it doesn't match their claim. They say:

--------------------

Guarantee your digital connection to be free of dropouts and digital artifacts with our advanced DisplayMagicTM DVI-D Dual Link cable. Supports the highest resolutions (1920 X 1080)! These amazing cables are guaranteed on even long runs (9 meters), when most DVI cables are not recommended for runs longer than 3 meters.

This triple-shielded cable features spirally wrapped FAM, 100% Mylar and a copper braided shield. It also features ultra-pure copper conductors, nitrogen-injected dielectric and maintains a precise 100-ohm impedance.

---------------------

HTBuilder

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Well, because I went through 3 of their 9m DisplayMagic DVI-D cables to test it. One of those three was a single link cable with thicker conductors too. The tech I spoke with there agreed it was a length issue.

·
Registered
200 Posts
gotapex:

Wow, that's a bummer. The reason I asked is because they said the units were shipping 'on or about 4/18/2003', which isn't even here yet. Apparently they are shipping these now?

HTBuilder

·
Registered
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gotapex
Well, because I went through 3 of their 9m DisplayMagic DVI-D cables to test it. One of those three was a single link cable with thicker conductors too. The tech I spoke with there agreed it was a length issue.
gotapex--did they honor their guarantee of bandwith? I am curious as I probably need the 9m length and want to make sure it will work. I won't need the full 1920x1080 (well not until next year with my sxrd machine ;)) but the piece-of-mind would be nice if I did have troubles.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I believe they are working on new dual link cables using the fatter conductors their single link cable was using, that's why the release date.

Currently, their cables are dual link, and the conductors aren't as thick as they want to use. As you read above, I tested two of these cables, along with one of their single link DVI-D cables, which was built on the fatter conductors. None could provide sufficient bandwidth to surpass 1280x1024 at 60hz, unfortunately. All would have been fine for people at 1366x768 at 75hz and below, obviously (equal bandwidth).

One thing to remember though is there are currently next to no products that actually use a dual link.

JJay: Yes, guaranteed or your money back. I have to say that I had a first rate experience dealing with them, and they bent over backwards to try to get everything solved for me. While they couldn't do 1920x1080 at 60hz with the 9m cable, they sent a call tag for the product and refunded my money promptly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bruno,

In my original post I put the link to the page for a 10m cable.

I am using a 10M cable connected between my computer and my Sony projector. I am running a custom resolution of 1366x768 @ 56Hz to the projector for 1:1 mapping. I am seeing no problems with the picture. They say the cable will do 1920x1080 in the link. I have not tried this yet.

Kirk

http://www.lindy.com/us/productfolde...1243/index.php

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well, how is it that Lindy can produce a dual-link 10 meter DVI-D cable that supports the high resolution for $75 when bettercables is $200 and everyone else is $300+? Seems fishy. How on earth are you supposed to order from their site anyway? I see a message saying to call them - kind of hokey - should be able to order online. Oh well...

HTBuilder

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
In theory, if you use a dual-link cable in true dual-link mode, you're dividing the video bandwidth evenly across the dual links. That means that you can run quite a bit more bandwidth (i.e., higher resolution and/or refresh rate) over a a given distance---OR, you can support the same resolution and/or refresh rate as before at a much longer distance. The key is to make full use of the dual link, though, and not all video sources do so.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I ran across this document the other day - the first 15 pages contains a very good tutorial on cables - how they are manufactured, what the important specs are and why, etc. It includes info on coax, SDI, DVI, Firewire, USB 2.0, etc. It's put out by Extron, so the rest of the document is a brochure on their cables.

http://www.extron.com/download/files...sProdGuide.pdf

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
You start to run into problems with the higher refresh rates. A cable may be fine at 1980 by 1080 with a refresh of 30 Hz but at 60Hz it's an entirely different story. The only reason that I can see that you would need a refresh of 60Hz is if you were using an outboard scaler. What's being broadcast now is at a refresh of 30Hz. None of the current projectors on the market are native 1080p projectors so if you are buying a cable that can handle 1980 by 1080 at a refresh of 60 Hz then you are just planing for a future projector that might be able to handle that signal. I wouldn't advise anyone to spend a lot money on an optical cable as when HDMI replaces DVI as the standard, a fiber optic cable mayl not be necessary as HDMI will allow long lengths with copper cable . Dual link DVI may not be necessary either as HDMI will have better transmitters and receivers . If you run a cable capable of supporting 720p now and latter find it can't handle 1080p and you need that, add a dvi repeater. A dvi repeater will boost the signal and allow your current cable to support a higher bandwidth. That will solve the problem if you encounter it. I would not spend extra money now.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I didn't think that HDMI was going to change any electrical specs over DVI. I thought it was basically a smaller plug (allowing the use of plug adapters between HDMI and DVI).

Now I have also heard that at some point, cheap equalization chips will come along which will allow those pieces of electronics that have such a chipset to be able to tolerate longer cable lengths - but that's only if you have equipment with the more advanced circuitry.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
HDMI will use superior recievers and transmitters thus greatly increase the distance over which the signal will travel. It will also add more feature such as the ability to control the unit and to transmit audio as well as video. There is a lot more to the HDMI spec than just making the connector smaller. That's one of the reasons I'm waiting to see if Sony will include the HDMI connector on the SXRD. It will solve the distance limitations of DVI.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.