AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm trying to understand what exactly is "HDMI 1080p video upconversion by HQV Reon VX" on my Onkyo TX-NR3008 receiver... I tried reading threads here, but I'm still confused... I've never used that feature before...

I'm guessing it's to make poor quality sources look sharper???

I have the following setup:

- Onkyo TX-NR3008 receiver

- Panasonic TC-P65VT25 3D plasma (65 inch) 2010 model

- Panasonic DMP-BDT350 3D blu-ray player 2010 model

Everything is hooked up through HDMI.

1) Do I need to turn the upconversion "on" on the receiver?

2) Does my TV do a better job at upscaling compared to the HQV Reon VX chip?

3) I saw an option in the receiver's settings where video is set to "passthrough"... I guess that's what I want? If not, what should I set it to?

4) Does turning upconversion on affect my TV's calibration? Because it was calibrated by Gregg Loewen of Lion AV, and I wouldn't want to mess with his calibration...

5) Is upscaling and upconversion the same thing?

Thanks for trying to enlighten me.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
The stickied AVR FAQ may answer most of your questions. I wrote it, so it's simpler for me to refer you there rather than re-typing most it here

Short version...

If you have HD sources, you don't need to worry about it

If you have analog video sources, make sure you get a receiver with analog video to HDMI so you can run a single cable from the receiver to the TV

In a few cases a receiver's video processor may help (see the FAQ for more details.)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Q1. It's your choice for SD.

Q2. Trying asking in the plasma forum in that plasma's thread.

Q3. Again it's your choice, no sure if pass through means no processing at all but there might be other processing settings like noise reduction which you might want from time to time for some SD source.

Q4. Display calibration normally and primarily deals with brightness, contrast, colour, grey scale, gamma and sharpness, so changing any of these elsewhere upstream (if they are available as options) in the player or AVR will affect the final result. By contrast, scaling and de-interlacing are not part of display calibration.

Bear in mind also, if the display was calibrated on its own and not together with your BDP, then unless that BDP has been measured to show it outputs HDMI video correctly (some BDPs don't), there is no guarantee that the BDP does not mess it up. Same for the AVR.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
Q5. Upconversion - convert analog source (ie. composite, S-Video, or component video) to HDMI (no change in resolution)
Upscaling - changing resolution from lower (eg. 480i) up to 1080p (the TV automatically does this with all input video)

You don't mention if you have a cable/sat box connected, but if what you list is all you've got then you don't need upscaling or upconversion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.