AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am buy a new TV (60" LED) for my basement. I haven't figured out what I am going to do for a DVT/Cable box yet. I am thinking it might be nice to get a streaming device to hold me over for a little bit. This is what I would like to do:
  • Stream Netflix
  • Stream video for my PC (xvid & x286)
  • Stream Video from TiVo (can download to PC as mgg2 if needed)
  • Subscribe to video podcasts (teklilla)

What do you think? Apple TV, Roku, something else?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I have 4 ATVs now and i can say i'm very happy with the user interface and functionality. Netflix interface and video quality is excellent BUT only 720p. I don't miss the extra resolution as i don't have/want any 1080 rips on my PC. Airplay functionality and control with an iTouch and Pad are really cool features. My cable provider (Xfinity) has some excellent iPad support so the Apple solution made sense for me.

Now to watch/play stored content the ATV does require iTunes to be running on a PC but the rest of the content is stand alone. I ripped all my standard def discs using AnyDVDHD and encoded them to MP4 using Handbrake with available ATV2 presets. Tagged everything with MetaX and my library (400 discs and growing) looks just as nice as any streamer GUI i've ever seen. This all grew from a huge audio only server system that was all apple already so it made sense for me. Just an overview of what an all Apple solution can do. There's better out there for all video i'm sure but the ATV's functionality and reliability are hard to beat for the price.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Running itunes isnt a big deal to me but what media formats are supported? I really do not want to have to convert anything. I do not have an iphone/ipad. I am a android guy. I do have comcast but do not think I will have a cable box hooked up yet (thinking about getting a tivo or htpc). What kind of features does it have for comcast?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.