AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For free, and out of sheer luck, I was just given three of the Celestion speakers you can see in this picture (I think the model number is 700):

[/IMG]

I've never heard them, and am guessing they're 10-20 years old; but I'm told they are high quality (and the owner had been trying to sell them for $300 a piece).

Now I'm trying to decide how best to use them.

For my tv room (which is used often, but not for music), I recently purchased:

HK AVR 254

Energy C-100 for the front

C-C100 for the center channel

C-50 for the rear/surround

Energy S10 sub

Meanwhile, in my living room - which is hardly used - I have a Harmon Karden 3600 receiver (I'm guessing it's 20 years old) and one pair of [email protected] DM 310 speakers (also I guess about 20 years old).

So, what do you think would be the best use for the speakers I've just managed to pick up for free?

If it matters, I am not entirely sure whether I even have room for 2 more speakers in the tv room. But I am guessing that the Celestions may be superior to any of the speakers I currently have in that room. I assume that I'll have to resort to trial and error to see what works best, but would still like some suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
For speakers that old they sure look pretty good. Why not have a side by side comparison with your energy? Play something you are familiar with on the energy speakers then switch them out for your new addition. If they sound better then keep them up front. If not then move them into your "vintage" room.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/17006715

For speakers that old they sure look pretty good. Why not have a side by side comparison with your energy? Play something you are familiar with on the energy speakers then switch them out for your new addition. If they sound better then keep them up front. If not then move them into your "vintage" room.

Right, I might end up doing just that. I guess part of my question is whether the Celestials would be better suited for music, than movies/tv.

Who knows? Maybe if the sound is a big improvement over the [email protected] in my living room, then perhaps I'll even listen to music there more.

A few other things I'm wondering about:

-whether either of my receivers are ok to power the Celestials;

-how to re-arrange the Energy speakers, if I end up using the Celestials in front;

-how I could use the third Celestial speaker;

-how to wire the Celestials (i.e., it looks like they require "bi-wiring" to me, which is new to me).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul /forum/post/17006871

If I remember right, and I think I do. Those are from the early 90's and I believe they cost around $3000 dollars new.

I'm not sure if the model is the same. The review you point to refers to "SL 700" model. The writing on these speakers says "700," without SL.

The prior owner was wealthy, and quite capable of spending such money on speakers. But on the other hand, he was previously trying to sell them (as part of a sale of items at a house he was moving out of) for $600 a pair.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I own a pair of the Celestion SL700's. I got them when they first became available in 1987. They look and perform today just as they did 22 years ago.

Their strengths lie in the smooth and accurate midrange. They have an incredible soundstage. Almost no coloration due to the honeycomb aircraft aluminum enclosures, which are really technologically advanced. They don't have much punch on the low end, which left me wanting a sub all these years.

I am now looking to replace mine with a 5.1 system, and wondering what to do with them as well. Certainly too good to donate to Goodwill.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.