AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a new processor for my HTPC capable of running at 133mhz (old one was 100mhz. My ram was PC100 but I thought I'd try pushing it to get a bit more performance.

I tried the whole mother board at 124mhz, very fast but unstable, then 110mhz, ran fine to start with but as soon as I tried to run anything that used my graphics card heavily the system crashed.

My creative graphics card comes at a factory default of 120mhz so I backed it off to 95mhz so as not to push it.

Now it still crashes but when you reboot Win98 it goes through about 8 registry back-ups then boots up and I find it has reset to the default 120mhz (crash problem back).

I have tried some good quality PC133 with no change. So even with underclocking both the processor, the ram and the graphics card, Win98 still comes back with a registry problem after the system crashes if I try to run anything over 100mhz.

Does an AGP slot use some sort of different clock multiplication?

Any thoughts would be great thanks guys.

------------------

GOLDEN.

Success has many fathers but failure is always an orphan.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Here's some big guesses...

You have a Creative Geforce 256 DDR. Leave the GPU clocked at default 120Mhz.

In bios:

If you use 100Mhz FSB speed set the AGP multiplier to 2/3.

If you use 133Mhz FSB speed set the AGP multiplier to 1/2.

If you own a 440bx board, set it to 2/3 and pray.

T.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Golden:

___The MB’s AGP bus does not set the clock of the Video card but does effect the bandwidth of the AGP bus as well as systems overall stability but if you are running your MB at its std. default FSB and the multiplier is set correctly, you should not be having any problems. The std. AGP frequency is 66 MHz but is dependant on the multiple of the FSB depending on the chipset used. The LX was at 1:1 (66 MHz for both FSB and AGP), BX at 2:3 if you run it at the std. 100 MHz FSB (100 MHz for FSB x 2/3 = 66 MHz for the AGP) , I815E, KX, KT133, Apollo Pro are all at 1:2 if you run them at their std. 133 MHz FSB (133 MHz for FSB x ½ = 66 MHz AGP). Again, you can run various frequencies if your board allows this and it does effect the bandwidth but does not set the Video cards clock directly.

___Now for a small discussion on OC’ing … Except for a few types of ABIT boards with PCI/IDE type adjustment capabilities, I highly recommend that you not run your FSB in the 115 - 132 MHz. FSB area. 124 MHz – 132 MHz in particular is a very dangerous area in that your PCI/IDE peripherals are running at 124/3 = 41.33 MHz! There are many HD’s and SCSI adapters in particular that will not run at all or not run for very long without harm at these FSB’s. You should understand what each and every bus is running at before randomly selecting a FSB since the system may not just run unstably and you most definitely can end up with broken HW!

___In your particular situation, you should have absolute stability at the std. frequencies without de-clocking as long as your CPU and GPU fans are running as expected and you are not cooking the box in an enclosed cabinet with very high ambient temperatures. You will have to look elsewhere for the stability problems which could be as easy as reseating the cards to installing new drivers, swapping out the PS, or even wiping and reinstalling the OS from a freshly formatted drive. The instability can come from anywhere but the core and memory clock of the video card at its default is usually not a source of the problems. There are VC’s that are too hot out of the box but not so hot as to be truly unstable but more along the lines of artifact production …

___Finally, we will need a bit more information like what chipset and board you are using to at least get you in the ballpark. The VIA KX and KT chipsets in particular were not very good FSB OC’ers. Supposedly there was a PLL that was effecting the stability of the chipsets when pushed beyond their std. FSB’s. I remember having a KX board not OC beyond 103 MHz (100 MHz set/200 MHz real on the EV6 bus was std.) yet when the CPU’s multiplier was lifted, the CPU would run at 35% above its rated frequency.

___Good Luck and be careful.

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tony,

I'm actually using an old 16mb Vodoo banshee graphics card with an Epox MB with a Via Apollo 133 chip set.

I shall see if it alows me to change theses settings on the MB or bios.

Thanks again Tony.

------------------

GOLDEN.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As usual, thanks Wayne, always my hero.

My MB has a Via Apllo Pro chipset acording to the manual, I don't now if that's any help.

To recap, I have:-

An Epox P2-122A MB with VIA Apollo Pro chip set.

With Award Bios v4.51

According to the specs it supports 133mhz and Pentium3.

Pentium 3 866mhz FCPGA on converter card, set to auto clock speed and voltage (bios monitor shows 1.7V which matches Pentium specs)

16Mb Creative Blaster Banshee Video Card.

256Mb of PC 133 sdram

1x Richo DVD/cdwr

1x Creative 6xdvd

2x Western Digital HD

As usual you guys save my sanity, many thanks again.

------------------

GOLDEN.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Xcel, I am having the same exact problem as Golden on my 100Mhz FBS mobo. I have the Asus P2B-LS (BX board). With a brand new Intel 1 Ghz 100Mhz FBS CPU.

With the utility: CPUFBS, I have the following options to choose from; which are the same options I can do via jumpers on my mobo.

1) FBS: 100.2 Mhz PCI 33.3 Mhz (Default)

2) FBS: 103.0 Mhz PCI 34.3 Mhz

3) FBS: 112.0 Mhz PCI 37.3 Mhz

Here is my problem... When I overclock, everything work perfectly, until I do heavy duty 3d gaming. I am not sure what O/C setting would work best for me and how I would independently change the AGP multiplier if my bios include that option. I have heard of BIOS editors which will allow you to change this option, but the only one I know of is an outdated dos program.

Xcel, would you be kind enough to explain if the reason my machine crashes during 3d bandwidth intensive games? Is it because I am not changing the clock multiplier when I change the FBS? All these years I thought my 3d games would lock up during overclocking was because the voltage to the CPU was still at the default voltage overclocked or not. What didn't make sense to me is that I only experienced problems in 3d intensive games.

I have always wanted to overclook and I have always run into the same problem no matter what display adaptor or PIII chip I used.

...Maybe adding a little over 100Mhz isn't worth it. I have a Geforce 2 Ultra.

[This message has been edited by mkanet (edited 05-12-2001).]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok my friend get your purse out and I might think about it!

Besides, old as it may be if a new card doesn't cure it I'll have the same problem and no money to fix it.

Cheers for the JMT but we'll wait and see.

------------------

GOLDEN.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Guys, you may have missed my post. I have gone through several agp display adapter all ending up with the same result. I can also underclock my display adaptor to consume less bandwidth on an overclocked FBS. The information that need to know is what is causing these lockups when I overclock. It is more for my curiousity than anything....since 100Mhz or so more isn't really going to do much more me http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

-Michael

[email protected]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Me too Mike, exact same problem so if you find anything please pass it on

------------------

GOLDEN.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Golden the Sarge...

How many coffee breaks have we shared outside the office? And out of those breaks, how many times have I said GET A BETTER GRAPHICS CARD?

You know, and I know that you can easily afford it, and your current card is by far "The weakest link - goodbye!"

------------------

ICQ 116808321
http://www.btinternet.com/~woof.bark

·
Registered
38 Posts
BX mobo generate the AGP clock by:

(FSB/3)*2 for FSB>99

(FSB/2)*2 for FSB<100

PCI bus is derived separately from the FSB but in the same manner some mobo will add a (FSB/4)*2 but only for the PCI Bus. Some mobo auto select the correct setting and others allow the select of manual/auto. AGP standard clock is 66mhz (100/3)*2=66.66, (66/2)*2=66 mobo only have to function in this range as well as video card add 10% for good measure and you get 72mhz. Even at (112/3)*2=74.66 you're well out of the 66mhz range even out of the +10% range. Depending on the components used on the mobo, video card as well as the memory will you be able to reach higher FSB. A lot of people change the AGP BIOS settings turning off sidebanding, lowering system memory texture size to 0, some just used PCI video card (TNT 2)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.