AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for my first projector now and need some help to understand what really matters in lumens and contrast ratio. Here are my questions:

1. How much of a difference will I see between two projectors with 1200 lumens vs 1500 lumens or 1600 lumens vs 2000 lumens? I need to answer this for both a HT with some ambient light and for a business conference room.

2. How much difference will I see on an LCD projector with a 300:1 contrast ratio (like a Mits X80) and another with a 400:1 contrast ratio (like NEC 155/156)?

3. Would I be better off getting a projector with 1200 lumens & 500:1 contrast ratio or one with 1600 lumens & 400:1 contrast ratio?

Thanks.

Honcho

·
Registered
842 Posts
Let me started telling you that I had in the past year six deferent PJ's with diferent britness and contrast and I can tell you for sure that if you have a little ambient light dont get any thing less them 3000 lummens. I corrently have a Mitsubishi X400 3000 lummens with a contrast 400.1 it is just perfect when you want to watch movies and do a presentation. I used to have a sanyo 21 2500 lummes 700.1 before that and a Mit X390, no compereson. The black levels of the X400 is much more supeiror then any ather PJ I owen. And if anybody gives a opinon make sure they tell you what kind of equipamet they have becouse I got a lot of missinformation.

·
Premium Member
24,314 Posts
Angeli662,

"I used to have a sanyo 21 2500 lummes 700.1 before that and a Mit X390, no compereson. The black levels of the X400 is much more supeiror then any ather PJ I own."

So the X400 has lower black levels than the X390 (which is also rated at 400:1) and the Sanyo XP21?

That's quite interesting; I wonder if you were lucky and got an exceptionally good unit. Have you seen any other X400's, and did they seem as good?

Honcho,

I just now noticed that it was you who started this thread (I was searching on Mitsubishi). Did you get a chance to see any Mitsubishi's before settling on the Panasonic?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Angeli662
Let me started telling you that I had in the past year six deferent PJ's with diferent britness and contrast and I can tell you for sure that if you have a little ambient light dont get any thing less them 3000 lummens. I corrently have a Mitsubishi X400 3000 lummens with a contrast 400.1 it is just perfect when you want to watch movies and do a presentation. I used to have a sanyo 21 2500 lummes 700.1 before that and a Mit X390, no compereson. The black levels of the X400 is much more supeiror then any ather PJ I owen.
I can use my XP21N in more than a little ambient light and still get a great image. In fact enough light to read in. The LT150 can even handle some ambient light, but not nearly as much. Also, the X400 is rated at 400:1 contrast vs. 700:1 for the XP21N. I believe the X400 may be noticably brighter (although that is contrary to what ProjectorCentral found after calibrating both projectors) than the XP21N, but I find it hard to believe there is no comparison in black levels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.