AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at three TV's and was curious if the pricing was worth the difference.

Sony Bravia XBR KDL-40XBR6 is roughly a price I could afford right now and I was wondering if it would be better than the ...

SAMSUNG LN40A650 40" 1080P 120 Hz LCD HDTV Now I've been reading that the finish is too glossy so I was even considering going to the...

SAMSUNG LN40A630 40" 1080P 120 Hz LCD HDTV

But this TV I've found is the same price as the above TV at the moment and I wasn't sure if it was any worse than the 650.

I like both the Samsung and Sony, but I keep hearing really good things about Samsung over Sony and would like anyone's opinion on the matter. There would not be much of any TV watching on this unit. It would be mostly used for Gaming and Bluray or DVD.

Any help would be appreciated and I will try and give any further details if needed. Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think Sony owners will vote for the Sony, and vice versa.

The two models are very similar. Why don't you visit a retailer and see which aethetics you prefer. Both are great top tier tv's. I think the Sony found at deep discounts may be a better buy-but i believe the Samsund is selling many more units and is highly rated-

Anka

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know we can't talk prices on here, but I hope it's ok if I say that the sony is only roughly $300 more than the Samsungs. I just want to make sure the extra $300 would be worth it. Also, aside from the glossy finish, does the Samsung 650 really do anything "better" than the 630? I'd much rather have a non-glossy finish on the TV. I was looking at them in the store, but I never really trust what each TV is hooked up to, so it's hard to say which one I'd prefer without having games plugged directly in or which one might be better straight out of the box without calibration.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Although I have a Samsung 46A650 and love it, love it, love it, I've also seen the 40" XBR6 and also love it as well. If I was in the market today, I could pull either name out of a hat and be extremely satisfied. As for the Samsung 40A630, it's also a fine set, but I thinks it's just a notch below the 650 (maybe because I like the colors that come through the 650's glossy screen which I don't even notice when the TV is turned on). Good luck in your decision. I think you'll like whichever one you choose.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The 650 has a glossy screen which very much resembles the gloss/reflection from a plasma screen. The 630 has a semi-matte screen, which is not nearly as reflective as the 650 but it is still more reflective than a lot of other LCD screens out there. Other than that there's really not much difference between the two, the 650 has a higher contrast ratio because of the glossy screen.

As for the sony's, I don't know. Not worth the price IMO, but if those are your only choices I think the sony has a full matte screen which would be better if you have a bright room and can't handle glare/reflections.

·
Registered
479 Posts
i thought most gamers preferred the sony's because the samsung's can't be adjusted in game mode or some such thing?

I started trying out samsung's and then several sony's and ended up keeping a sony w series. buy from some place that has a 30 day return/exchange policy and then you can try one out and take it back if you don't like it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm actually glad to hear that it seems most of the replies are everything is pretty close as far as "specs" are concerned. I appreciate all the input and will probably remain undecided for a little. And as always, I'm sure hardcore fans of one brand or the other will definitely go with the brand they like. Thank you, everyone, so far for all the input!

·
Registered
7 Posts
FWIW last night I was comparing side by side a Samsung 650 to a Sony Z series which has most all the attributes of the XBR. Many scenes there wasn't a huge difference in picture quality that I could tell, especially with the clips flashing by so quick. In general the Samsung was a brighter picture with vivid colors and Sony had better true to life color re-creation and what I call half tone colors.

Then there was a close up of some flowers. Since the Sony has better half tones (I'm guessing it's the result of the 10 bit processor) the detail on the flowers looked much sharper than on the 650. In this case I was able to talk them into a $150 difference on an open box Z series. Knowing the way I do things I'll probably have it 10 years, so that's only an extra $1.25 per month....I'd say it depends on what you like to watch & if you recognize minute details like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts