AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are trying to decide which Mac Mini to buy - the 1.83 gHz or the 2.0 gHz model.

We will primarily use it as a HTPC to play 720p .mkv files (and try to get it to play 1080p .mkv files, but I understand there are limitations to this).

Will the 1.83 gHz do about as good as the 2.0 gHz playing 720p .mkv files, or is the 2.0 gHz worth the extra $200?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
Will the 1.83 GHz do about as good as the 2.0 GHz playing 720p .mkv files

yes, you won't notice any difference between the two core 2 duo mini models when it comes to 720p MKV torrents. A 1.83 CD can handle those no problem.

Quote:
is the 2.0 gHz worth the extra $200?

no, it's not. It almost never is, since the superdrive is a POS, and it has the same graphics and RAM limitations. Are you at all budget and value-conscious? If so, this happens to be one of those times when both current models are relatively poor values because they are sooo long in the tooth: still "g" wireless, still the GMA 950, still a 2GB RAM limit (for perspective, the Macbook stepped forward to the Santa Rosa way back in October 2007, which meant faster bus, 4GB RAM, the X3100, and "n" wireless of course, and has since been upgraded again to Penryn.)

If I were you, had to pick a mini up soon, and was at all budget/value conscious, I wouldn't give Apple a dollar more than the refurb 1.83 C2D for $499--then put in a 200GB 7200rpm drive and max out the RAM yourself, since prices on both have fallen dramatically. That should hold you over until you figure out exactly what kind of power you need or wait for a more interesting Mac mini to be released.

I've been very happily using an old Rev A Macbook, a 1.83 core duo, in my home theater for the past year and a half. Figured it was time to trade up to something better, so I sold it with 1.5 years of Applecare left, and just ordered a Santa Rosa 2.0 C2D Macbook, which Apple briefly had for $849 as a refurb last week. I'll swap drives first--my old 7200 Hitachi in, whatever it ships with out. I'm somewhat of an advocate of the Macbook over the Mini in the home theater--it's a better performer, better value proposition, better resale because Apple laptops are in much higher demand, just as quiet and it's significantly easier to swap drives and RAM.

·
Immaculate Grand Phoobah
3,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefklc /forum/post/14216150

yes, you won't notice any difference between the two core 2 duo mini models when it comes to 720p MKV torrents. A 1.83 CD can handle those no problem.

no, it's not. It almost never is, since the superdrive is a POS, and it has the same graphics and RAM limitations. Are you at all budget and value-conscious? If so, this happens to be one of those times when both current models are relatively poor values because they are sooo long in the tooth: still "g" wireless, still the GMA 950, still a 2GB RAM limit (for perspective, the Macbook stepped forward to the Santa Rosa way back in October 2007, which meant faster bus, 4GB RAM, the X3100, and "n" wireless of course, and has since been upgraded again to Penryn.)

If I were you, had to pick a mini up soon, and was at all budget/value conscious, I wouldn't give Apple a dollar more than the refurb 1.83 C2D for $499--then put in a 200GB 7200rpm drive and max out the RAM yourself, since prices on both have fallen dramatically. That should hold you over until you figure out exactly what kind of power you need or wait for a more interesting Mac mini to be released.

I've been very happily using an old Rev A Macbook, a 1.83 core duo, in my home theater for the past year and a half. Figured it was time to trade up to something better, so I sold it with 1.5 years of Applecare left, and just ordered a Santa Rosa 2.0 C2D Macbook, which Apple briefly had for $849 as a refurb last week. I'll swap drives first--my old 7200 Hitachi in, whatever it ships with out. I'm somewhat of an advocate of the Macbook over the Mini in the home theater--it's a better performer, better value proposition, better resale because Apple laptops are in much higher demand, just as quiet and it's significantly easier to swap drives and RAM.

I believe that refurb Macbook is still in stock at the Apple Store...

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
I believe that refurb Macbook is still in stock at the Apple Store...

good catch, when it shows up, it doesn't stay long--any Macbook below $949 goes very quickly. The first time I tried to buy that $849 Santa Rosa, I put it in my cart, then started looking at Canon printers, seeing what was available for the $99 rebate, and by the time I picked one and went to check out, a few minutes later, the Macbook was no longer in stock.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I bought the 1.83GHz mini and haven't run into anything it couldn't play. I don't tend to download the 1080p mkv files either, but H264 HD stuff (720p) has worked fine. I'd save the $200 and go out to dinner.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
PS Any rumors/facts on when the mini will be refreshed?

·
Registered
199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkscout /forum/post/14220292

I bought the 1.83GHz mini and haven't run into anything it couldn't play. I don't tend to download the 1080p mkv files either, but H264 HD stuff (720p) has worked fine. I'd save the $200 and go out to dinner.

I have the 1.8ghz C2D mini and so far I haven't had any trouble playing back 1080p .mkv files smoothly. I've only tried a couple so far, but this was a pleasant surprise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts