AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just a newbie whos monitor just gave out and decided to go for a nice big new plasma display 42" .... i have been told to go for the phillips or panasonic ....please tell me if this sounds about right or if there are specific plasmas that are good for pc use...ie games and web browsing

thanks for all input :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Plasmas aren't really good for PC's at all since they are prone to burn-in when displaying static images for a long period of time. You're probably better off looking at LCD's although you won't find any that come close to 40".

If you don't mind big bulky direct view monitors, I believe Princeton Graphics makes a large 16:9 monitor.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The Fujitsu 4242 has hi-resolution and a few passive schemes to keep your windows icons etc from burning in. Makes a great computer monitor.

Add a wide-XGA card (Imagine Graphics and others) so your square picture won't look stretched when it's up on the wide screen.

good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi guys, thanks for your help yep will look into the priceton and the Fujitsu 4242 . thanks for the replies ..if any more of the plasm pro's here have any more suggestions please post em also :)

i have a couple of weeks more before my next paycheck arrives so still have time to decide which one to go for :)

cya

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you aren't outputing a 16:9 signal form your computer then the plasma will scale the output to match the display which will create a stretched image. You can put the plasma in 4:3 mode but then you'll have the bands on the side which I think is a waste fo the display and will be prone to burn in. Some graphic cards will output a 16:9 format. Burn in is an issue but if wouldn't necessarily deter me from using plasma as a monitor. However, I wouldn't use plasma as a monitor unless I knew I could mount it several feet (5-7 minimum) away. The pixels are too noticeable up close. If you really want to use plasma as a monitor, check out the Hitachi CMP-307SXA, this is a 1024x768 4:3 plasma geared for data display.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I run my PC at 1280x768 on a Pioneer 50" and the picture quality is extremely sharp and vibrant much better than any CRT direct-view I have used to date. To get the best image quality, you must make sure that your video card will support the native resolution of the display and with a PC, higher is better.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think Samsung will be introducing a 15X9 40" LCD screen at Comdex. The resolution will be 1280X768. Not certain about its release schedule or quality. but I would imagine its price will be similar to an equivalent sized plasma.

Go to their site www.samsungusa.com and see the flash demo.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Samsung has been threatening to release both the 43" and the 50" HLK's for nearly two years, alas it's a little too late in the game. But then again, maybe this was a smart move on their part as they kept their eye out on the development of Plasma.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
And, I might add, Samsung is notorious for demonstrating products that they are never able to deliver in quantity, at least in the video display area. Don't hold your breath for a Samsung display. Great R&D department, poor production.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi yep i would love the 50" pioneer but thats a bit too expensive for me and also i will only be around 5-6' away from it while working so may be a bit too big :) , but can i just ask which graphics card your pc uses?

i am looking for a nice xga -uxga wide output as i think i will go with the Fujitsu PDS-4242 as i can get one here in uk for about £6k which is my limit and looks quite good (well hope so anyway) :)

i just have one concern with the burn in effect that has been mentioned ,can you tell me what the passive schemes are that are mentioned on the 4242? ...will the screen go black every so often to stop the burn in or how does it work. I am a computer crazed mad man and sometimes spend 10-12 hours on-line just web browsing so the IE icons are always there...will i get burn in from this for certain or will the passive schemes stop this happening?

i had a laptop for a year or 2 and that dispay went all red (well the whites went pink) so that had to be terminated :( i was hoping my plasma would last more than 1 or 2 years.

also the sanyo lcd looks cool , what would be the advantage of lcd over plasma ? if by chance they did release it soon :)

ps thanks for all these replies they are most helpfull :)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Kei:

The Samsung 40" LCD is NOT one of their new fLCD projection sets. Actually, there are two such TVs. One is their LCD projector set in a narrow footprint. That's not even a remotely interesting display to me. The other is a traditional TFT display at 40". Unlike fLCD, which is new tech, the new 40" LCD requires only one revolution: really big TFT panels.

Today, you can buy a Dell TFT panel at 20" for about $1400 when bundled with a new workstation. In theory, if you mutiply this by 4, you'd have a 40" panel at $5600. Now, I don't know if they are building a single piece of glass or using panel joining technology of some kind.

I am, therefore, totally unwilling to speculate on exactly when or if this thing (the 40" TFT) will ship and how good it will be. It will, however, use less power than plasma and be unsusceptible to burn in. It will also have far higher resolution.

Now, Samsung sells PDPs as well, so they are obviously aware of the need to make this thing competitive with PDPs. I will be fascinated to see:

(a) If they commit to a shipping date at all. The fiasco of the fLCDs has to have them a bit chastened.

(b) If they commit to a range of prices, as they did with the fLCD models.

It's only 26 lbs., which is pretty remarkable. 1280 x 768.... Quoted contrast of 600:1, with 1000:1 dynamic, whatever the heck that means. Barely over 2" thick.

Oh, and it will be on display at Comdex. Look for a press release on Monday. As the current owner of a needing-replacement Panny plasma and as someone who'd like to watch 4:3 without fear of burn in I have to be a bit intrigued. Not expecting this thing anytime soon, but you never know.

Mark

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Mark,

I missed the flash demo on this because I didn't see it on the link provided by lesc. I still agree with Joel however that although Samsung's R&D prowess is respected, production of anything that is not commodity item is unlikely because they are in effect a mass producer. Here is the photo and a press release of this product:

TFT-LCD production processes become increasingly difficult, as the screen size grows larger. Until now, 30 inches was considered the technological limit for this type of display, while many companies have been researching ways to come up with wider screen products. Samsung's achievement is considered a technology breakthrough for TFT-LCDs.

Samsung has also greatly improved the viewing angle, brightness and response time--aspects that have been pointed to as weaknesses in the TFT-LCD. Importantly, the company has applied its exclusive Patterned Vertical Alignment (PVA) technology to give a viewing angle of 170 degrees. Response time has been shortened to just 12 milliseconds, fast enough to fully support moving pictures. Thus, the new display can easily be used on a TV.

The full-color display function reproduces 16.7 million color tones, while the black-and-white contrast ratio is 600:1. Brightness is 500 candelas. These specifications make it well suited for digital broadcasting.

Quote:
In theory, if you mutiply this by 4, you'd have a 40" panel at $5600.
If that theory was true, Plasma would have had serious competition long time ago. Any incremental size increases carry a premium that does calculate in such simple multiples, then you have to take into account the fact that these same companies that make LCD's also own CRT plants, and have no interest in contributing to the obsolesance of their substantial investments, especially in the light of the economic condition in the Far East. The annoucement above states that they "can" make it, not that they will. I'd wager that you'll be holding your breath for a long long time for LCD production at this size at anywhere near the kind of price you are hoping for, although I wish that I was wrong.

Kei Clark

Digital Connection

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.