AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, finally got the sign-off to close in part of the basement to construct a dedicated HT. Since sound isolation from the rest of the house is crucial, I will be building a room within a room using RSIC, double drywall, GG, etc.

But, in order to make the space more functional when HT is not "in session", I will be putting in double doors (we're going for at least a 6' opening when the doors are open.

I was thinking of getting two exterior doors and attaching a layer of plywood and GG to both sides if needed. Any other suggestions to keep sound in?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I'd be interested in the wifely reaction to the cost. Wives often (especially on projects not their own) are dead-set on a certain feature - until they find out how much extra it costs. ;)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dennis, as always, you supply the "best in class" answer, thanks. DMF, you and I are on the same page. I guess I should have asked the question in such a way so the DIY'ers, could respond with their "low-end" solutions.

·
Registered
667 Posts
For a less expensive option I just ordered a Lowe's Safe N Sound double door prehung (72") for ~ $260.

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts
The problem with double doors...including the "safe n sound" (which are neither :) ) is the inability to properly seal them when closed. Those with a "built-in" astrigal also tend to rattle. I can appreciate the budget constraints; however, I'd suggest I provided the minimum in class to meet the sound isolation needs. The best in class? Well, even I don't want to know. :)

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I guess you need to compare the level of effectiveness of the doors with the level of effectiveness of the rest of the soundproofing. No point in doing the full RiR thing and then skimping on the doors.

FWIW, how much would one spend on a single-width door at that level of effectiveness, Dennis?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dennis,

Yikes, minimum in class for $2500?! I realize this is probably the way to go but I am bound and determined to try another approach. Once the RiR is complete (and whatever double door "solution" I conjure up) I still have to deal with the rather large "escape" window on the back wall (and the sound that will "escape" through it, up the window well, and sound to those upstairs like it's coming from my neighbors house). I have received a couple of interesting ways to pad the well with some pretty heavy sound absorbing materials from other posters.

I may start with the Safe N Sound and add plywood, GG, etc. and see what results I get (this will be interesting). I'll keep everyone updated once I get to this part of the remodel.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
As a minimum use solid core doors!

I used oak veneer double doors with an MDF inner core. Works fine. If they are hung properly there is far less chance of rattle. I was considering 1 inch fabirc wrapped acoustic panels on the theater side but found the isolation good enough with just the basic doors. However every installation is different.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Derek, I'm really interested to see how your approach works. Given any thought to adding GG, a plywood layer on both sides and fabric on theater side of door as well as rubber seals?

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Oh, give me a home with a soundproof entry

beyond which the children and parents can play

Where seldom is heard a discouraging word

And the movies are not snowy all day

How often at night when the projector is bright

With the light from the silvery screen

Have I stood there amazed and asked as I gazed

If the neighbours HT exceeds that of ours

Home, home with a theatre

Where the children and the parents can play

In comfy seats, where all are pampered

nibbling on popcorn all day

Where the sound is so pure, the pixels so free

The acoustics so clear and light

That I would not exchange my home theatre

For all the baseball so bright

Where the chilren and the parents can play

Watching the bad guys get slaughtered

And whatever Discovery HD might say

Oh, I love the wild Playstation in this dear land of ours

The xBox, I love to hear scream

And I love the Nintendo and the Gameboy

I grin when I have health status 'green'

Where the children and the parents can play

Where seldom is heard a discouraging word

And the movies are first run today

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
nice link.

Seth

·
Registered
147 Posts
What are th efects of doors and seals? BBC has two excellent R&D reports about doors and seals! :rolleyes:

Read them in detail. Tehre are several things specifric to BBC's criteria in the testing.

BBC Door blanks

and

BBC Door seals

Now you have the info, you can make an informed decision.

Andre

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Wow! Twelve posts and nobody has suggested putting super glue in the wife's lipstick to keep things quiet. This place is getting too civilized.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Paul, the double door is actually being used to separate the theater room from a small media storage room. I'm not as concerned about sound leakage into that room so I probably will do minimal sealing if any. I'm using two 36" communicating doors (safe n sound) in my staggered stud wall as my main entrance into the HT. I'm wondering if anyone has tried communicating double doors sealed up tight???

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Maybe TWO sets of double doors, with at least one set able to open back flat against the wall, out of the way. Split the jamb, so it isn't coupling the sound between the two walls.

You'd still need a fairly good seal, maybe something D-shaped (think like a bicycle tire's stiffness) between the doors, on each side of the wall. But, two doors are often better than one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.