AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plese help, can't find any help anywhere. I got a 16GB flash pen drive and I'm trying to format it NTFS instead of FAT32 because I'd like to use it for movie files larger than 4GB. Anyways, I went to device manager and made sure to set the policies for "Optimize for Performance" and all that jazz. It reformats the whole drive, gets to the end, and then puts up a warning "Windows was unable to complete the format". What gives? I even tried the two HP disk utilities and it simply won't format to NTFS. FAT32 and it works fine, but as a 16GB drive, its useless for me.

And hardcore low-level free partition software I can use that would solve this problem?

Using WindowsXP, SP3.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And before anyone answers, yes I have tried putting in a Windows boot disk and tried to reformat from the XP setup utility....no go. I also tried from the command prompt "convert *.* /FS:NTFS and that doesn't work either. It seems to be a very common problem out there on the internet, but no real solutions are offered. I wonder if I tried it from a Vista system if I'd have more luck.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb /forum/post/16912118

just use the fat version that allows for large files

the ps3 can't read it though if that's important to you, but any pc can

Woaa...how do I get that version? A PS3 will never see this drive, only the WD TV and maybe a Popcorn Hour and dozens of PC's.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb /forum/post/16912158

if you are using vista or above it should be in the format options, I think there's a patch for xp

it's called exfat

Sweet, thanks man, checking it out now...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts