Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current setup (pre-HDTV)

- 1 18" dish dual LNB.

- 2 100 cable runs under house to SATA IN on a 4x4 Channel master 6904IFD that came with the Elliptical dish (that I did not install)

- 3 outputs from 4x4 to 3 DTV receivers (Hughes HIRD-E4, Sony SAT-A4, RCA DRD420RE).

- Hughes gets Tampa locals and HBO only, other 2 DTVs get San Francisco locals, Total Choice and NFL ST on seperate account.

- Hughes and Sony feed ReplayTV. RCA is extra SF box to allow for 2 NFL games.

NEED HELP ON NEW SETUP

- Bought RCA F38310 HDTV

- Would like to keep Tampa and 1 SF DTV feeding Replay

- Plan on adding extra "receiver" (F38310) to Tampa package for HDTV programming.

I don't think I have to install the Elliptical dish, but can use 2 18". However, from reading posts, it seems I need to run 2 more cables from dish mount area to my equipment/multi-switch in order to accomodate.

I suppose I could consolidate DTV packages, but I like having news from my old city, plus being able to feed Replay with both east and west coast programming. ( I miss my DISH for that reason).

How does OTA HDTV play into this?

Do I need any more equipment other than 2 more cables? Seems like I might need another multiswitch or something....maybe not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TV arrives in hours and would love to have configured for Thanksgiving.

Any Bay area folks up for an afternoon of wiring and beers? :cool:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dallas,

You have it about right. For HD, you have to either add a second round dish to catch the DirecTV HD sat (at 119 degrees I think) or replace the current round dish with an elliptical.

It will take only *one*additional RG-6 cables from the new dish to the multi-switch since you have only one HD receiver, but you might as well run two while your at it. And one cable from multi-switch to F38310.

As for combining programs and Tampa vs SF, whatever you can work out.

There is a lot of OTA HD in SF, but not sure how strong the signals will be in Campbell. I had to add antenna preamps to get solid signals in Menlo Park.

Frank

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Frank. I will have to give it a go tomorrow...ran out of light tonight.

Did talk to a local installer about putting in a Terk for the local DTV signals.

Read a thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=91541

Hooked up 2nd dish and set menu on F38310 to elliptical dish, got 84 signal on 119. The two RG6 from that dish run to the 4x4 multiswitch into SAT B. But no 199 HDNET or 509 HBOHD. Called DirecTV and they said that I ABSOLUTELY had to install the elliptical dish.

I don't get it.

Will read more later and try on turkey day.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dallas Pesola
Hooked up 2nd dish and set menu on F38310 to elliptical dish, got 84 signal on 119. The two RG6 from that dish run to the 4x4 multiswitch into SAT B. But no 199 HDNET or 509 HBOHD. Called DirecTV and they said that I ABSOLUTELY had to install the elliptical dish.
Are you sure that the second dish is pointed at the 119 satellite? One way to tell is to tune to channel 400. If it is in Spanish you are on the 119. If it is English you are on the 101.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe that's my problem. I didn't really even move the dish much at all to get what I thought was 119. Are you saying that I will get signal that will give a false positive on 119?

Back to testing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe that's my problem. I didn't really even move the dish much at all to get what I thought was 119. Are you saying that I will get signal that will give a false positive on 119?

Back to testing.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dallas Pesola
Are you saying that I will get signal that will give a false positive on 119?

Yes. Others have been fooled before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.