AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have done a good amount of searching but I just can't seem to find a consistent answer to my question.

I am going to be mounting a marantz vp4001, which is pretty much just a sharp XV-Z3000 with blacker blacks. It has 1200 lumens.

It already get's pretty damn good black levels, and a gray screen is unnecessary because of my all black basement theater

Does anyone know any good screen material for a screen 135" the room is completely black and in a basement, so light control is no problem.

And so I can do a little searching also, what gain would be recommended for a screen that size to get about 12 ftLs(to compensate for bulb dimming)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Man! A 135" screen is too big for that projector. In the dimmer modes suitable for home theater you will get only about 350 lumens from the vp4001 with a new lamp. The viewing area of a 135" 16x9 screen is 54 sq. feet. With a unity gain screen that would produce 350/54=6.48 fL. You would need a screen gain of about 1.85 to get to 12 fL, which is considered pretty dim compared to the recommended 16 fL. In addition, at 720p you may have to contend with visible screen door effect on such a large screen unless you are sitting far back. I suggest you consider scaling back to a 100-110" max. Bigger is not always better.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm using Da-lite HP with a Marantz vp8600 and the screen is 140" diagonal in 2.35:1 and about 112" in 16:9. My light control is not complete, but very good during the day. I have a white drop-in fake raised-panel ceiling. Walls and floor are medium colors. Overall, your light control is superior. I believe that my pj is brighter.

I can run the projector at the lowest setting (LB) just fine now while the pj/lamp are new.

You definitely would need some gain in your screen.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy /forum/post/15518452

Man! A 135" screen is too big for that projector. In the dimmer modes suitable for home theater you will get only about 350 lumens from the vp4001 with a new lamp. The viewing area of a 135" 16x9 screen is 54 sq. feet. With a unity gain screen that would produce 350/54=6.48 fL. You would need a screen gain of about 1.85 to get to 12 fL, which is considered pretty dim compared to the recommended 16 fL. In addition, at 720p you may have to contend with visible screen door effect on such a large screen unless you are sitting far back. I suggest you consider scaling back to a 100-110" max. Bigger is not always better.

Thank for the extra info, but the review I read of the Sharp XV-z3000, which is the same as the marantz but the marantz has a better lens, said that he sat 11' from his 128" inch screen and there was no sde, except a small amount in lettering.

He also said that for this projector at that size 1-1.4 gain will do.

Sorry if I come off as an *******, I'm not I'm just making sure to educate all future marantz vp4001 purchasers that want to go big(lol small percentage) that have the same question as I had.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts