AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hooked up the RP-56 and was watching backdraft in progressive scan. I set the DVD player to 16:9, but I still have black bars on the screen and all the images looked stretch when I set my TV in "Full" mode (Panasonic 53WX42), I had to use the "zoom" mode instead. Any ideas? Its supposed to be an anamorphic DVD. This is my first time with a widescreen TV and a progressive scan DVD. thanks in advance

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
BACKDRAFT is not anamorphic. It is 4:3 letterboxed. What type of TV do you have? (make & model). Are you able to change aspect ratios with the TV when in 480p mode?

Also, 2.35:1 films like Backdraft are supposed to have small black bars top and bottom.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
BACKDRAFT is not anamorphic. It is 4:3 letterboxed. What type of TV do you have? (make & model). Are you able to change aspect ratios with the TV when in 480p mode?

Also, 2.35:1 films like Backdraft are supposed to have small black bars top and bottom.
Thanks for your reply. Unless I'm mistaken it says 2.35:1 and anamorphic on the back of the box, which led me to believe that 2.35:1 was the anamorphic aspect ratio (obviously I know now that it isn't, I must have been mistaken or it was a typo, don't have the box in front of me now). I have the panasonic 53WX42 and it allowed me to change the aspect ratios while feeding it a progressive scan signal from the RP-56. The picture looked really stretched in Full mode, so much so that I preferred having some of it cut off in Zoom mode. I haven't had a chance to try other DVD's in progressive scan. What is the aspect ratio for anamorphic?

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Anamorphic does not mean an aspect ratio. Check out that link above.

BACKDRAFT is NOT ana anamorphci DVD. It's 4:3 letterboxed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.