AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started having 2.4ghz band drop outs and connectivity issues about a week ago.

Thoust the radio was dying so I bout a Buffalo 1750ac Air Station. SAME THING.

In the room the router is in I get 38mbs download on average but as soon as I step out of the room the sig drops to 2mbs if it connects at all.

5ghz band is running awesome , no why should I worry about the 2.4 band? Because I have legacy devices that I still use that can not join the 5ghz band.

I have called Buffalo tech and we did everything from a factory reboot to change the wireless channels.

The only thing I added to my network in the last 2 weeks was a RoKu2.

The only thing I did to the room the router is in was i hung two framed pictures 16X36 in the room.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Cordless phones and microwave ovens are common causes of wifi interference. So are neighbors with their own networks.

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
If you don't have a microwave or cordless phone that you can unplug or neighbors whose wireless networks can be detected by your computer, then you need to consider investing in a WiFi signal measurement tool, or hire someone who has one.

Or use wired networking like ethernet over cat6 or over powerline.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If the Roku is the last thing you changed, have you tried removing it from your setup/ powering it off to see if that is the issue?

How do you have the Roku connected to your network? Is it using the 2.4GHz band? The remote uses WiFi Direct and so depending on how you have it configured it could very well be interfering with your WiFi signal. Try connecting it using wired Ethernet if possible and going through the settings to make sure no settings (wifi band, channel, etc) overlap with your router in any way. If the problem goes away with the Roku either turned off or not using WiFi, that is your culprit. Although not on the 2.4GHz band, I saw a post or two about people experiencing problems with their WiFi due to the Roku selecting a similar channel .

I still think it is worth it to see if there is an abundance of wireless networks around you using the same channel. inSSIDer is probably among the best pieces of software out there to display WiFi networks, channels, signal strength, etc but it costs $20. Here's a link to a few other utilities that may be free . It never hurts to see if there is a more open channel and to optimize your WiFi setup.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do have about 17 networks that my Wifi plasma tv see's but they have been there for a wile. I have the ruku wireless connected. When I get home tonight Im going to take down all the artwork in frames I put up and then unhook the ruku to see if that helps. My neighbor who is using a Comcast router told me he is having no issues at all.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
The other suggestions are the first things I would do as well. You also might want to consider elevating your router and trying to move it in a more centrally located place. My router was on a desk in the "computer room" but I moved it to a closet shelf across the room toward the door and elevated it about 3 feet higher. Made a big difference and most of my devices are on the 2.4GHz channel. Is hardwiring an option? CAT-6 is the way to go if possible ( I eventually did that for the HTS).

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Wifi does require "line of sight" between receiver and transmitter. The more things are blocking the signal, the worse the reception will be. Dense walls are worse than thin walls. No walls are best -- i.e. put an access point in the same room if you can't use a hardwired connection. Metal plates along the "line of sight" will block the signal entirely, while metal objects elsewhere will reflect the signal in all directions, causing interference problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts