help with 2nd HP SAS Expander in separate case:

I have a Norco 4220 (Case #1)

-Areca 1880

-HP SAS Expander

In Case #1:

-Port 1 of Areca 1880 connected to 1-Port SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 Adapter

-Port 2 of Areca 1880 connected to Port 8 of HP SAS Expander

-Port 2-5 connected to backplane

Additionally I have a Norco 4116 (Case #2)

2nd HP SAS Expander connected to MOBO in Case #2

In Case #2:

-Output from 1-Port SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 Adapter connected to Port 1 HP SAS Expander

-Port 2-4 HP SAS Expander connected to backplane of 4116

I power on the 4116 (Case #2) then the 4220 (Case #1) but The Areca Card only sees the HP SAS Expander in Case #1 it does not see the one in Case #2. Any thoughts, did I connect something incorrectly?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did some further testing and it does not recognize the SAS Expander in Case #2 - Is there a preferred power-on sequence or something? The SAS Expander has power (green light) and is warm...but the Areca just won't see the second one!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Have you tried cascading the expanders also only connecting the one in case #2 to ensure it works?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I swapped the SAS cards, but still doesnt work. Only the one in the same box as the raid card works. Additionally if I connect the external SAS cable from the server back into the SAS Expander in its own case, it works, but not the SAS expander in the 2nd case.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 /forum/post/20891539

Have you tried cascading the expanders also only connecting the one in case #2 to ensure it works?

I swapped the expanders so I can say for sure they both work. I cannot say for sure if they work when in Case #2 however, all I can say factually is that the green light on the card is on when Case #2 is powered up.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If it's just that they don't work in case #2, it's likely that you have a SFF-8088 to SFF-8087 adapter instead SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 adapter or your cable is Tx to Tx instead of Tx to Rx, having both wrong IIRC will work.

If they do in fact work in case #2 but you controller doesn't like having 2 HP expanders cascading them might work.

Try cascading them once using straight from the external SAS connections then by using the adapter to one of the expanders internal SAS connections.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyram4x4 /forum/post/20891867

If it's just that they don't work in case #2, it's likely that you have a SFF-8088 to SFF-8087 adapter instead SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 adapter or your cable is Tx to Tx instead of Tx to Rx, having both wrong IIRC will work.

If they do in fact work in case #2 but you controller doesn't like having 2 HP expanders cascading them might work.

Try cascading them once using straight from the external SAS connections then by using the adapter to one of the expanders internal SAS connections.

The 8087 to 8088 works bc I used it to go into the back of the SAS Expander in the same case. Additionally I tried just using the SAS Expander in the 2nd case only. I'm going to start pulling cards now, maybe the SAS Expander + 12 drives is too much for the 650watt PSU?

12 x 7200rpm drives (raid)

2 x 7200rpm (system)

Nvidia 580GTX

Core i5-2500K

Corsair 650watt PSU

·
Registered
959 Posts
Ok, so let me get everything straight as of now, your going from the host to the adapter thru the external cable works and additionally only having an expander in the 2nd case.

Did you try cascading the expanders yet?

Do you have staggered spin up enabled? Depending on the ratings on your PSU if it has multiple rails how things are connected, especially if all the drives spin up at once it could very well be part of the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.