AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have a 7.1 speaker setup in my HT. I just bought a Vizio M701d-a3 70" TV with passive 3D. I coupled that with the Sony BDP-5100 blu ray 3d player.  I wasn't initially going to buy the 3D, but thought the kids would enjoy that option.  My dilemma is that I have an Onkyo tx-sr606 that's older and just had the HDMI board replaced.  I was intending on running the cable, blu ray, and PS3 through the receiver HDMI inputs and then out to the TV.  However, the AVR is not capable of passing the 3D signal.  I've already exceeded my HT budget and cannot buy a new AVR right now with a low WAF.  So, I'll have to wait on that.  Here's my options:

(1) Run PS3,BD and Cable to Onkyo then to TV and not use 3D.  Have an optical out installed from TV to AVR.  If I wanted to watch 3D movie, I can unplug the HDMI from Onkyo and source of 3D and hook source (BD or cable) directly to TV.  The picture would be 3D, but I would lose the sound bonus of having the HDMI source going to the AVR and result in only 5.1 sound in my 7.1 system.  OR

(2)  Run P3S, BD, and Cable to TV.  Run optical from TV to AVR.  I wouldn't have to switch cables when watching 3D content, but would always have the reduced sound capabilities.

Neither option is ideal and my ultimate goal would be to get a new AVR
 (although I just paid $100 to get the old one fixed).

Any thoughts or suggestions on how I can get the best sound and picture and capabilties out of my setup?  Thanks for any input.

Setup:

TV:  Vizio M701d-a3

BD:  Sony BDP-5100

Cable:  Comcast Xfinity HD

AVR:  Onkyo sr-tx606

Sub:  DA-1200

LR:  Polk 265-RT

C: Polk 255C-RT

Surround:  RCi80

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Not without cable switching all the time. Looks like you understand the issues pretty well.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks...I was kind of hoping I could utilize some type of an HDMI switch.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Maybe. The problem is that the HDMI version that supports 3D is newer than the one you have. You would have to connect the Blu Ray player to the TV directly with HDMI and then send audio to the receiver through optical or some other connection. If you want 3D TV with good sound you are going to want a new receiver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts